Chapter Forty

It’d been a while since she’d seen or even talked to Kakashi.

Granted, she didn’t normally go out of her way to look for him like she used to because he had his students and she had her team.

But she did find herself missing all the missions he used to take her on even if he was ordered to in the first place. 

He never was a big fan of Ibiki but he was civil and he knew that Shingami had gotten on used to the man and didn’t try to keep her away from him since the two lived together and he didn’t want a kid living with him. Not like he had extra room for her.

“Of course you do. Just don’t scare people.”

“That’s the only reason I still do it.”

He just shook his head and tossed her the book in his hand. She flipped through a couple of the pages to get to where she was last.

Jiraiya blinked a couple of times realizing the girl was reading his book and started smiling while he stood up from the window sill. “Naruto why didn’t you tell me your friend has good taste in books?!” 

Naruto scrunched up his nose under all the bandages that crossed over his face. “I didn’t know she likes to read your pervy books, Pervy-Sage!”

“Never mind him! I don’t think we were ever introduced properly! I am Master Jiraya the Toad Sage!”

The older man held his hand out to the girl who shifted the book into her opposite hand so she could shake his. 

“Shingami, no good title. Maybe you’ve heard of the Shinigami in your travels?”

He paused for a whole second. “Yes. Yugakure is one of my favorite places of research!”

The girl suddenly threw back head back and laughed. “I knew it. I knew the place descriptions were so familiar.”

She looked down at the page she was reading. “You learn something new every day.”

Suddenly a frown crossed her face and she closed the book handing it back to Kakashi looking at Naruto who was smiling from the hospital bed.

“But in all seriousness.” She started making everyone look more somber “Naruto, what’s your next plan?”

“I’m gonna find him and bring him back!” Without a hint of hesitation.

Something in the back of her mind clicked, her chair screeched as it scraped across the floor only stopping when it hit the wall, there were no marks and Shingami was standing in front of the window on the other side of his bed. 

The blonde flinched, her eyes were darker than he’d ever seen them. 

Kakashi and Jiraya were just as surprised but they didn’t show any reaction to her quick movement except keep their eyes trained on her.

Bring him back…” Her tone was the same one she’d use in an interrogation. Kakashi knew and Jiraya knew, Naruto however didn’t. He knew her for her silence, her relaxed self whenever they were together, her contagious smiles, and laughs. This wasn’t what he’d say Shingami was like.

You’re going to be the one to bring him back?”

“Y-Yeah.”

Dead or alive?”

“Shingami-” Kakashi tried to get her to stop but a single glance shut him up.

I’ll ask again, dead or alive?”

“Alive! Shingami-chan, I would never kill any of my friends!” He said after he got over his initial shock.

And how are you going to do that? Hm? Talk him to death?”

“I’ll get stronger! I’ll beat him!”

How? How will you get stronger?”

“I’ll train! Harder than I ever have!”

He left one his own free will, didn’t he?"

“No, he-!”

The girl slammed her hands on the metal bar on the side of the bed scaring him with the sound. Calling him out on his own lie. Her voice was loud but not loud enough for anyone to hear outside of the room.

I hate liars and deserters! Say the truth!

“He was manipulated! He thinks he’s doing the right thing Shingami-Chan!”

That’s no excuse! Because of his actions Choji, Kiba, Neji, Lee, Shikamaru and even you could have been killed!” She pointed to the door while keeping eye contact with him.

“But-”

And you're still going to defend him?

“Yes! I am He’s my best friend ya know!? If I can’t bring back one person how can I ever be Hokage?!”

Shingami let go of the rail letting her hands slip down the cold metal.

“Okay.” Her face was back to normal and her voice was soft. Jiraya and Kakashi were not convinced but Naruto clearly was since he was smiling again.

“Really?!” 

“No.” She kept her voice down and calm and her face was the normal blank so Naruto was confused. 

“But you just said-”

“I know what I said.”

The girl turned her back on the boy looking out the window, her hands inside her trench coat pockets. 

“If I were you I’d kill him.”

Naruto didn’t say anything. 

“But you are not me.” She looked over her shoulder seeing that he was listening. “You are Naruto Uzumaki, you will be Hokage someday, and if this is the path you believe you must take so be it, but know I do not agree with you.”

She walked back to the chair and put it back in the spot it was before but did not sit down. “People like him change.”

“You don’t know that Shingami-Chan!”

“Yes, I do. Because we are alike.”

“What do you mean?”

“He wants revenge, I got mine. I’ve made my peace.” She sat down finally. “But you know what that did for me? Nothing. If anything I was angrier than before. I am cursed to be alone. I have no ambitions. I do my job and whatever is needed of me. That’s all.”

“That's not true! Shingami-Chan, you have friends that care about you! Ya know? I care about you! I know your team does too! You should see how Shikamaru always talks about you like you're a princess o-or how you look like a dancer with your sword! And ino always talks about how much she loves your hair and eyes and how much she wants to dress you up all the time! Choji also talks about how much you like your strawberries and dango! A-And I think you’re awesome! I still want to see you and Kakashi-sensei fight! And… and-”

The girl put a hand up stopping him from continuing, she still hadn’t changed the look on her face. Her eyes also betrayed no emotion.

“I know what you’re doing, Naruto. It’s sweet, but it doesn’t change anything.” She thought about it for a moment. “If I ever come across him, I won’t kill him for you. I can’t say I won’t put my foot up his ass, but I won’t kill him.”

“Thank you Shingami-Chan! I promise not to let you down!” He had a smile on his face.

“But all bets are off when he tries to kill someone that isn’t a rogue shinobi. I won’t be the only one to feel that way.”