Chapter Fifty

The rest of the week went by faster than expected.

Shingami per usual was working hard regardless of the consequences of her lack of sleep.

Shikamaru’s workload had also increased and between his duties to his clan and Chunin duties, he found it rewarding to talk to Shingami when they collaborated on assignments.

She listened to him, she was accepting of everything he had to say and never judged him for anything he said or did.

Shikamaru didn’t dare forget that today was her birthday, but he didn’t have a clue as to what she would like as a gift and that left him stuck in his thoughts.

Shingami wasn’t very materialistic. She liked her pictures, weapons, and was grateful regardless. 

She was currently speaking with his father and Inoichi about something she uncovered during an interrogation. He didn’t know what happened but it seemed serious since the three of them were going to have a meeting with lady Tsunade.

He crossed his arms and watched the clouds pass over his head. Choji had left about twenty minutes ago to make Shingami a birthday cake. Ino was doing god knows what but she was giddier than usual, probably planning something big.

Come to think of it he did see her speaking with Sakura earlier in the morning.

So she was definitely planning something.

Shikamaru frowned as he thought about everything shingami might like. She had the sword that he had given her still, and that was the only blade she would use, so he knew he did something right there.

But he didn’t know what else to get her.

A thought entered his mind and he stood up to go.

_______________

Ibiki and Shingami glanced at each other.

“What do you think?”

“I think this was just what we were looking for.”

Shingami looked down at her bloody hand, the man had done something unexpected. 

He’d bitten off two of her fingers while she wrapped his arm in barbed wire to stunt his movement.

Her left pinky and ring finger had since returned but it pissed her off.

“... Can I-?”

“No.”

“But he-”

“I said no, you are not stooping to his level.”

“How bout just one?”

No.”

“Half of one?”

Shingami, you are not to bite off any of his fingers.

“...Fine.”

“...”

“...”

“...If you were to cut them off I would not be mad.”

Oh?” A smirk crept onto her face. And the man was suddenly regretting all of his life choices that brought him to this point.

_________

“Are you certain, Shingami? Are you sure this is accurate?”

“I would not have brought this to your attention if I didn’t believe it to be genuine.”