Just a Friend

"Dude, you can just thank me."

It was the same day that they had arrived. Except that it was now 9:46 p.m.

Dream paced around in his old room. The walls were still painted gray, his old pc was still sitting on his desk, and his bed was still neatly made with his black comforter.

George was in the bathroom next to his room. He was taking a shower.

"What do you mean 'I can just thank you?' You gave him my address without permission, Sapnap."

The blond sighed, looking out the window every once in a while to check if his family has arrived.

"Well, you like him don't you?" Dream paused in his steps. That was correct. "So I basically helped you in some kind of way."

"Was it that obvious?" Dream sat down on his bed, resting his arms on his knees, propping up his head with the palm of his left hand. He used his other hand to hold his phone.

"Oh my gosh. You're so cute when you smile, Georgie," Sapnap mocked. "Of course it was obvious, idiot."

Rolling his eyes, Dream got up again when he heard the shower turn off. "Okay, you're right. But you never answered my question. Why did you tell him where I live?"

There seemed to be a second of silence before Sapnap spoke. "I- he just wanted to see you."

That was clearly not the right reason. Dream was in a bit of an argument with George at that time. Would George really just go because he wanted to see him?

"Hold on," Dream went quiet, listening to the noise coming from the bathroom. "I gotta go. I think George is about to come into the room."

"Alright. I'll talk to you later, Dream."

"Yeah. But don't think you're off the hook. I know that's not the actual reason."

Sapnap giggled before he hung up.

The blond walked into his closet. He was planning to scare the Brit.

George was taking his sweet time in the bathroom. Dream had been waiting for at least five minutes.

'What's taking him so long?'

"Hey."

Dream paused. George was calling someone. He put his ear on the wall, trying to listen to what George was saying.

"Yeah, I've missed you too."

He knew that it was wrong to be listening to his conversation. But he was curious. Who was he calling?

"I told you so many times already. He's just a friend."

Although he already knew that George was straight, it hurt him to hear those words come out of his mouth.

"I do love you. I'll come visit you after I get back home, okay?"

'Is he dating someone?'

Dream couldn't believe his ears. Does George have a girlfriend? Why didn't he tell him? He felt like an idiot for attempting to make George his when he already had a lover.

"Alright, I'll talk to you later. Bye."

Hearing George say goodbye to whoever he was calling didn't stop him from leaving the shut closet. He stayed there, replaying the words George had said in his head.

'He's just a friend.'

'He's just a...'

"Dream?"

Wiping away the tears he hadn't noticed, Dream cleared his throat to respond. "Yeah?"

"What are you doing in the closet?"

"Just putting some clothes in here," he replied. He shuffled around in the empty closet, sitting down with his back against the wall.

"With the door closed?"

Before Dream could even talk back, his phone buzzed in his lap. He looked down and turned it on, putting his password in.

It was his mom.

"They're here!"

Rushing out of the closet, Dream raced down the stairs, almost slipping on his socks. George nervously followed behind him.

When he opened the front door, he was met with a short blond girl. Her ponytail swayed as the wind blew.

"Drista!"

"Ew. Get off of me, idiot." He was pushed aside by his sister. Dream watched as she walked over to the sleeping cat on the couch. "I only missed Patches."

Dream only smiled, turning back to see his parents walking towards him. They both looked shorter since the last time he saw them. Perhaps it was because he grew in the past month.

"I missed you so much," his mom exclaimed.

"You literally just saw me on Thanksgiving." He hugged his mom first, moving over to hug his dad after. "Clay, you know she misses you every single second."

He chuckled, taking a step back to allow them to enter. Dream looked up to where the stairs were after he shut the door. There stood George, scratching the back of his neck.

"Right," he began, "guys, this is George." The brunet looked up from his staring contest between himself and the floor. He walked over to Dream's parents, Dream doing the same so George didn't feel awkward.

"Oh, so you're George. You're so handsome!"

"Yeah, that's me," George chuckles. Dream observed how the Brit played around with his hoodie strings.

"We've heard so much about you." George raises his eyebrows, switching his attention to Dream.

"Oh, really?"

Drista pops up from behind Dream. "No way, Clay. You're friends with the Georgenotfound?"

"Hell yeah, I am. Jealous?" His sister walks over to the kitchen, picking up a green apple from the counter. "Definitely not. Just disappointed that I got you as my brother instead of him."

Taking a bite out of her apple, Drista walks up the stairs with her phone in her hand. "It was nice meeting you George."

Dream laughed, turning his head back around to his parents.

"Are you two a thing?"

"Honey, you can't just ask that out of nowhere," said Dream's dad.

"Sorry."

He couldn't see himself, but Dream knew that his face was a bright red. He noticed his friend's face change color as well. Before Dream could even open his mouth, George put his hands in the pocket of his hoodie and said his response to Dream's parents.

"No, uh, we're just friends," he nervously giggled.

Looking down at the floor, Dream could feel the stares of his parents burn his face. He had told them that he developed feelings for George a few weeks ago. Dream had already come out to his parents, so there was no need to worry after he told them.

"Oh, okay." Nobody dared to talk for a few seconds. I mean, what would anyone say after that?

"We ordered food before getting here." His mom put her purse down onto the counter, taking out her white wallet.

"Here's the money. Could you tell us when it's here?"

Nodding, Dream put the money into his pocket. His parents began walking upstairs to their room.

"We'll see you in a bit."

Once they were out of sight, Dream sighed. Now he was left alone with George.

His friend.