Chapter 42

Scarlett

It was my birthday. The one day of the year I actively dreaded. The day that most people celebrated. The day that I wished would have died alongside the reason why I hate my birthday.

It was our thing. Every year, Harper and I went big. Parties, food, and gifts-the whole shebang. From breakfast in bed to dinners with five-course meals, her family spared no expense when it came to birthdays. So naturally, she and I made big deals out of them. We would save up money all year long just to get each other extravagant gifts on each other's birthdays. Our birthday parties were planned months in advance and details were poured over. Even at such a young age, we took them very seriously.

But she's dead. And so is my reason to celebrate. Even though I knew the date of Harper's death, it never felt as somber as when my birthday rolled around.

For it was on my birthday, that I noticed her gone the most. Her cheer, joyful spirit, and constant countdown to our birthdays were gone.

So, even though it was the date of my birth, I was in no mood to be reminded. And that much was evident from the moment I woke up.

~~~

I woke up with a pounding headache. More than likely because I was actively shielding my mind. If word got out what today was, today would only get worse.

Peeling myself from someone's warm arms, I stumbled my way out of bed and towards my closet.

Behind semi-closed eyelids, my eyes missed the pair of boots that had been left on the floor. My feet, however, did not miss them.

A quick and hard fight with gravity had me slamming into the wall. My nose luckily caught my head though as it smashed against the wall.

A string of curses left my mouth as I cupped my bloody and possibly broken nose with shaky hands. My eyes began to water, not from pain, but simply because of the impact.

I quickly got up from the floor and locked myself in the bathroom. I allowed blood to drip in the sink as I looked in the mirror, checking to see if my nose was crooked or slanted at all.

To some extent of luck, it was straight. A birthday miracle.

I waited for my nose to clot before I did anything with it. It was sensitive, but that didn't stop me from cleaning the blood off my face. Once that was done, I left the bathroom and walked to my closet. All the while ignoring whoever had had their arms wrapped around me and were now sitting up in my bed.

I found some black sweatpants and a black hoodie that I pulled on before I left the closet.

Navy blue eyes watched me with curiosity and concern. Not feeling talkative, I ignored the pressing questions behind his expression, and instead left my room.

There was only one place in this house that could make me forget about today and the baggage that came with it. The Library.

Footsteps followed me down the hall and stairs, but never once did their owner speak up or push me to talk to him. Something I was eternally grateful for.

Walking past the kitchen, I ignored whoever's pressing gaze watched me. I was in no mood for conversations.

I feared that interacting with my guys would lead to me accidentally letting my guard down, and that would be awful. So I slithered through the house, hoping to go as unnoticed as possible. 

"I thought Aunt Flow left last week," Aspen snickered from the living room. 

Suppressing my reply, I continued on my path to the safe haven that lay on the other side of the house.  All the while, I envisioned high, steel, walls that shielded them from my thoughts. I was grateful for the lesson Erik had given me a while ago on how to keep them out for when I just needed space. 

My thoughts deviated briefly as I felt a small poke at my mental barriers. One of them was trying to snoop, I realized. The poke came from a clawed finger, not quite talons, but it had long nails. From experience, I knew it was one of the twins. I realized who it was when the smell belonging to the hand wrapped around my mind. Oakley. It was hard to explain his presence in my head. It was a gentle yet ancient and scary presence. I could smell his typical sweet wine smell, but I also just knew it was him.

The finger tapped very softly against the barriers as if they were knocking. I paused mid-step as all my thoughts went to the mild-mannered vampire. I envisioned a door, a door that I only cracked open a smidgen. It was enough to peak my head through and greet the clawed hand.

Is everything all right, Spitfire? Oakley's warm voice filled my head. 

Yes and no. I really can't explain, I just needed some space today. I explained, though I ensured to keep the walls up. Luckily he didn't seem to be poking around. 

Well then I will notify the others and you can have your day. He said politely. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better? He inquired, though his voice was slightly quieter as if he was readying to withdraw from my head. 

I'm afraid not. This is something I must work through on my own. 

Very well. One of us will remain at the house if you need anything. He said as a way of farewell. 

I could feel him disappear from inside my head, his soft and gentle presence leaving along with his typical smell. 

Even though I stood inside the hallway leading downstairs, I couldn't help but turn around and look for him. He sat in the living room, reading. He looked casual and completely enticed in the book in his lap, it was as if we weren't just having a conversation in my head. It was crazy to believe that the supernatural are living with me. That a human could live happily among beings that could kill them in an instant. 

With that scary thought, I continued on my original course. At the bottom of the stairs, there was a crossroads. The left hallway leads to an office, though the only one that uses it is Lincoln. The hallway to the right leads to the garage, which was huge and comfortably sat the guy's supercars. Straight ahead from the staircase leads to giant double doors. 

I felt powerful when I pushed the double doors open at the same time, kind of like a princess escaping from the castle late at night. Ironic. 

Inside, the cool air that smelled of books enveloped me. I walked along one of the ceiling-high bookshelves, which easily stretched 20 feet high, and dragged a finger across the spines of the books. It was here I felt safe. Surrounded by thousands of stories that told of other worlds and universes. 

It always took me a while to find a book to read, usually I ended up with four books and had to pick one to read while the others sat close by, waiting their turn. 

Briefly, I became aware of footsteps on the stairs. Several pairs in fact. The rumble of several engines roared to life and it was evident that some of them were leaving. I waited to hear how many cars pulled out but I felt a shiver of magic and the sounds of the cars suddenly disappeared. I quickly realized that someone put a barrier around the library, blocking out outer noises. 

I smiled to myself as I smelled a pine smell. A brief presence was felt but soon pulled back. It was Erik and he was letting me know that he was here, but was giving me space. Remembering Oakley's earlier words, I figured that it was just Erik and I here now. 

My heart warmed at them listening to my request and allowing me to have a day. My barriers relaxed slightly as I cracked open the book in my lap and dived into another story. Peace and Quiet. Finally. 

~~~~~~

Thank you for reading Chapter 42. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Comments and feedback make my heart happy. I truly do love hearing what y'all have to say. Thank you for your continued patience for my lack of updating.

~Until next Chapter