Chapter 9

Scarlett

"You're how old?" I balked at Lincoln

"A thousand or some years." He shrugged. "Give or take."

Oh right silly me. Just a thousand years.

I shook my head. Looking down at my hands, which were laying in my lap, I tried to calm my racing heartbeat.

A thousand years. I can't even imagine how much they've experienced and dealt with in their life span.

I looked back up to Lincoln. "So who's the oldest?" I looked between the remaining four supernaturals that stood in my living room.

Erik chuckled. "That's hard to know for sure. But if we all remember our dates of birth correctly, then Lincoln is the oldest. Kjell only a few days younger. Then me and then the twins." Erik explained.

"Were you guys friends..."

Kjell cut me off with a deep laugh, "gods no. Are you kidding? If we would've met when we were little we would've killed each other a looong time ago." They all smiled at Kjell's words.

I gulped and looked back at where Aspen's body lay. Laid, apparently. Where did his body go?

"So you guys are really immortal then?" How were they so casual about Oakley murdering Aspen?

I looked at Lincoln and Erik as something dark flickered in both their eyes. Oakley spoke up, while the others seemed lost in memories. "Yes, Spitfire, we have been killed many times, but we never seem to stay dead for longer than a month. Maybe a year if under abnormal circumstances." Oakley said.

"That must be awful," I said. Their questioning glances prompted me to speak more. "Being alone in a blank abyss by yourself."

"Actually," Oakley said as a small smirk pulled at his upper lip. "It is very peaceful. There's a sort of serenity about being completely alone. Don't get me wrong, it's sometimes annoying being there while everyone else is fighting a war, but other times its a nice time out. And that's why I did what I did." Oakley seemed so pleased with himself.

What an interesting man... I mean vampire. What has my life turned into? One moment I'm living my day to day life then these guys show up and shake up my world with just a few smiles and words.

"What more would you like to know, Dove?" Kjell asked as his arms wrapped tighter around my waist.

I thought for a moment. There was so much running through my mind. I finally just picked a question and voiced it. "So if Oakley and Aspen are vampire immortals, what are the rest of you?"

Erik was the first to answer my question. He cleared his throat as he spoke, "I'm a mage. My species can cast and wield magic. The magic is more specific with the separate kinds of mage. The first kind is a Red Mage, they tend to deal with the mind. They can manipulate and sense human emotions and feelings. They can also see into the mind. The other kind is a Blue Mage, they deal with more physical and natural elements. They are connected to nature and are close to animals. Blue Mages can also shapeshift." Erik said seeming satisfied with his explanation.

"So what kind are you then?" I asked.

"I'm neither." Erik said."I'm the one and only Purple Mage."

"But you said there were only two kinds." My eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

"There is. But how do I put this?" Erik looked at Lincoln who seemed to give him the go-ahead. "Long ago, there was a time when we were all mortal. We each gave great sacrifices for immortality. And thus us being the first of our kind, we had to branch our species. I choose to divide my species into two so everything is equal." He paused. "Well besides me," Erik smirked. 

"You're telling me that you guys are like the original supernaturals?" How much power and influence did these guys have?

"Of our species, yes," Lincoln added. "There are other originals though. We don't see much of them though." He grinned darkly.

"So Lincoln, what might your supernatural side be?" I asked him.

"I'm a Van Helsing," Lincoln said simply.

"Like the vampire hunter?" Is this a joke? He's gotta be pulling my leg.

Lincoln sighed, "I don't just hunt vampires. I hunt all kinds of Supernatural creatures and monsters." He grinned as something crossed his mind. "The thrill of the chase is incomparable to anything else. I'm basically a judge for the whole supernatural world. I try to make sure everyone stays in line, and make sure everyone who doesn't stay in line receives fair punishment." He gestured to Oakley. "In all honestly, I should punish Oakley, but since Aspen is immortal and he was out of line, I will have to let it slide."

"Do you have any powers?"

"Powers no. Abilities yes. I have strength, speed, smarts, and..."

"And an unmatched amount of arrogance." Erik cut Lincoln off with a smirk.

Lincoln just frowned at Erik before he went back to explaining to me, "I can wield any weapon and master it in seconds. I'm an excellent tracker, and I always find my...," he paused trying to find the right word, "Prey."

Okay, so two vampires, a purple mage, and a monster hunter. One more left.

I turned to Kjell last. He still had his arms wrapped tightly around my waist, while I sat on his lap, and he had his head laying on my shoulder.

"And you, mountain man?" I shivered as Kjell turned his head and his freezing cold breath tickled my neck.

"What about me?" Kjell asked. A grin was obvious by his tone of voice.

"What are you?"

"Why I'm a simple mortal who preys on beautiful redheads." He placed a soft kiss on my shoulder. His lips, shockingly cold, made me shiver.

"Careful Scar." Bash said, reminding me of his presence. "You could get into trouble with him." I saw the smirk on Sebastian's face but I also saw the slight tinge pain behind it.

Was he hurt?

Making a mental note to talk to my best friend, I turned back towards Kjell. He wore a self-satisfied grin on his beautiful face.

"I'm a shifter," Kjell said studying me with his honey golden eyes.

"So like a werewolf?"

Something suddenly dawned on me. Earlier I said something about wanting to date a werewolf and the twins about fell from their chairs.

"Wait, do vampires and werewolves really hate each other?" I turned and looked at Oakley who was shocked by my sudden question.

"All supernaturals hate each other. Vampires and Werewolves especially." Oakley practically scoffed.

"I'm not a werewolf." Kjell chuckled at my sidetracked mind.

"Well then what are you?" I started guessing, "a lion, no wait a panther. Wait those are too similar." I suddenly snapped my fingers, "a bear." It makes perfect sense. Look at the size of him.

"Good guesses but no." Kjell shook his head.

"You seem to be taking all this surprisingly well." Lincoln pointed out.

I shrugged. "There's always a better time for a breakdown. Right now I'll collect as much information as I can, then when the times right, I'll snap." I explained. I call it "putting it off". Oh how I love putting stuff off.

"Dove." Kjell's deep voice reminded me of our conversation.

"Yes bear." I grinned at him.

"I'm none of those things." He shook his head. "I'm a dragon." His voice hinted of no humor. Was he being serious? It was my turn to study his golden eyes.

My jaw dropped. A dragon.

~~~~~~
Thank you for reading Chapter 9. I promise the story is going to start moving soon. I just need to get all of the character information out of the way. Who is your favorite guy so far? Let me know in the comments. Until next Chapter!!