Chapter 43

Scarlett

It was several hours later that I finally pulled myself from my pity party. Ha, Ironic. I set my book down and unfolded myself from the comfy padded armchair that had held me while I read. I could tell when I walked through the barrier that Erik had put up when a shiver ran through my body. The magic danced across my skin, like particles washing over me. 

The stairs were silent under my feet as I quietly made my way up them. I spotted the sleeping red-head on the couch in the living room. A small smile made its way across my face as I watched how peacefully he slept. 

Attempting to not wake the super-hearing supernatural, I tip-toed to the fridge. The clock on the stove told me it was three in the afternoon and my stomach told me that it was starving. Sadly, nobody had done the shopping lately and the fridge was nearly bare, except for some carrots. The ramen in the cabinets didn't seem appetizing, and neither did the carrots. 

Letting out a resigned sigh, I shut the cabinet and leaned against the counter. This is what I get for living with six men. 

"I like to think there are other perks to living with us," Erik said as he walked into the kitchen. He rubbed away the sleep in his eyes and ran a hand through his messy hair. I love the messy Erik look. 

Erik smirked at my thought and that's when I realized my mistake. At some point during my reading, I must've forgot the barriers. I envisioned the huge steel walls slamming up around my head. Erik frowned as he tilted his head in thought. He didn't question me though, instead he reached around me to the key holder and grabbed the keys under the label Indiana.  

Indiana was the name of his black Cadillac Escalade. It was one of my favorite cars that my men owned. It was sleek, big, and had some great surround sound.  

"You wanna go shopping?" Erik asked as he spun the keys around his finger, there was a glint in his blue eyes. 

"For?" I inquired. With my arms crossed, I watched as he gave me an easy smile. 

"I promise I won't take you lingerie shopping like the twins did," his smile turned into a smirk. "Unless of course, you want to go lingerie shopping."

I gave him an easy glare. "I do not want to go lingerie shopping."

"Then we won't go lingerie shopping," he put his hands up in mock surrender. "However, we can go grocery shopping."

"Now that I'll do," I pushed off the counter and made to walk past him. 

His arm snaked around my waist as he gently guided me towards him. "Is everything alright?" He asked softly, his pine smell wrapped around me. 

I nodded. It wasn't quite an answer and he knew that. 

"I just want to make sure you're not sliding back down a hill that you've already climbed," Erik's face flashed with a horrible memory, one that I knew all too well. 

"I promise you, I will be alright. Today is just a tough day." I yearned to wipe the horrible memory away, or at least the look on his face, and so I did the only thing that I knew worked. I kissed him. 

He melted into the kiss, his arms wrapping fully around my waist as mine wrapped around his neck. His mouth slanted over mine, as his tongue tentatively brushed my lips. The kiss was soft and sweet. Erik was gentle and careful, where most of the others were domineering and rough. I really enjoyed both. 

Just when I thought of how gentle he was, Erik bit my bottom lip. Not hard enough to draw blood, but it definitely got my attention. The timing made me second guess my mental barriers, but I found them intact and impenetrable.