Chapter 34

Scarlett

I watched as trees sped by my window, the truck soaring along the stretch of road.

My fingers started playing with the seams on my jeans as my anxiety kept rising with each passing mile.

This was a mistake.. Why did I agree to go along?

My thoughts raced and my foot started tapping on the floorboard. The radio played quiet country music in the background of my soon-to-be anxiety attack.

"She's freaking out." Erik sighed from the back seat.

"I'm fine." I didn't move my head, instead of keeping my focus on the outdoors beyond my window.

"I know. He just sensed it." Kjell's deep voice rumbled as he laid a hand down on my knee that had previously been bouncing.

Unfortunately, neither of them bought the "I'm fine" lie.

"Dove, talk to me." Kjell's voice held a softness to it that I knew not very many ever got to hear.

"I said I'm-"

"Need I quote Aspen?" Erik teased lightly. In my peripheral vision, I saw red hair pop between the seats, as he leaned forward between the front seats.

I rolled my eyes as I mentally heard a sing-songy voice, "Lieee."

"Dove, you need to talk to us. Are you nervous?" Kjell asked me, though he kept his eyes on the road.

I sighed loudly as I moved my arm from the window and turned to face the two supernatural males. "Yes."

"Anddd..." Erik drawled.

"I'm nervous about what they'll think of me." My other leg started involuntary bouncing as I admitted my anxiety.

The last reaction I expected from the two males was laughter. But laugh they did. Laughed at my expense.

Appalled by their behavior, I turned back towards the window and resumed my pouting.

Once they both calmed down, Kjell spoke. "Dove there's no reason to be nervous. My people, they're like me..." I could tell he was at a loss for words as he paused. "They-"

"What the brute means to say," Erik cut in. "Is that if their unlovable, rude, arrogant, and highly obnoxious leader can learn to love you, then his people can too."

Kjell huffed at Erik's insults, but made no move to correct him.

"But what if they don't?" I twisted in my seat and turned towards them again. "What if they don't like me because I'm human and they don't think I'm right for their leader."

Kjell growled lightly at the possibility. "Then they can go fuck themselves," Erik answered for Kjell.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, be serious." My voice whined slightly. "What if their dragons chase me away and they hate me, or worse you because you choose me?"

Kjell's hand on my thigh gave a reassuring squeeze as his golden eyes turned to me for seconds. "Scarlett, they'll love you." Despite the simpleness of his words, I managed to get my anxiety under control.

A couple of days ago, when Oakley was getting worse and worse, Kjell proposed I tag along with him for a day so his people can meet me. I agreed, if only to give Oakley a breath, but realized my mistake a little too late as Kjell, Erik, and I got into his truck and embarked.

Despite the 'incident' happening over four days ago, Oakley showed no signs of calming down. Apparently his body was holding on as long as it could.