Chapter 1

I can feel the regret coursing through my body as well as I can feel the cold air against my pale ice-cold skin.

I should've dressed warmer, even though the walk to campus isn't far it isn't exactly close either. Honestly, I should've thought this through.

A gust of wind hits me, I grab each side of my cardigan and wrap it closer to my body and pick up my footsteps.

Living life here in New York is nothing like it was back home. It's always cold, well to me at least whereas I'm used to the blistering heat of Arizona.

I don't know what possessed me to move so far from what I'm used to, but I leave that thought behind as I approach the building and enter my last class of the day.

I quickly walk in, find a seat and take out my things. This is my last, but not least class of the day, English Literature. I may or may not have a crush on my professor. He's one of the sweetest people I've ever met. He's never done anything wrong in his entire life I just know it.

Because I'm the first one to enter he looks up at me and smiles with a wave. Like the idiot I am, I look down too shy to make eye contact and return his greeting.

My face is blood red I know it, but lucky for me the chair beside me gets pulled out and I see that it's Jade, my loving, erratic best friend.

"Hey B," she says before taking her seat.

'B' is the nickname she came up with for me. She shortened Isabella to Bella and then Bella to B. I've never had anyone care enough to come up with a nickname for me besides my parents so I learned to love the nickname over time.

I keep my head down when I speak back to her because I don't want her to see my blushing face.

"Hi Jade," I reply just as shy as ever.

"Aww, are you blushing over our sexy professor again," she coos teasing me? I should've known I couldn't hide my face from her, she knows me too well.

Just as I'm about to say something back a phone rings loudly. I quickly start searching my pockets to make sure it isn't mine but to mine and everyone else's luck, it's the professor's phone and not any of ours.

"Excuse me," he says to me and all the other students who have started to gather in.

Minutes go by before he comes back to let us know that class has been canceled due to an emergency he must attend to, so I pack my things and start to walk out.

"Hey!" I hear Jade call out from behind me. I stop and wait for her to catch up. "Do you want to go clubbing with me tonight?" She asks and I sigh knowing that she won't take no for answer.

This going to be a long, long evening.

--------------------

After Jade and I make it to the off-campus apartment we've shared for the past two years I decide to take a shower and get some rest. I grab my robe and head to the bathroom that we have in the apartment. It's a pretty small bathroom only consisting of a sink, toilet, and shower. It's better than using a communal bath though.

I hurry and coat my body with a thick lather of body wash and scrub my skin thoroughly before I wash my hair and rinse all the suds off. I turn off the water, gather my bath essentials, step out onto the mat and wrap myself in my robe and head back to my room.

I towel off and look at the time and it's around 6:00. I was hoping I'd have time to take a nap before I got dragged to God knows where against my will, but I guess not. It'll probably take us an hour to get there so I start to blow dry my hair.

After I get my hair dried, I look into my closet, and to no avail, I have nothing to wear. I don't really go 'clubbing' so all I have is sweatpants, leggings, jeans, and cardigans.

I pick out a pair of black jeans and a red shirt before heading towards Jade's room.

I don't want to be rude so I knock before going in.

"Jade is this-," I stop before continuing my sentence. I was about to ask if my outfit was okay, but seeing the two dresses she's holding in her hand I know the outfit I was going to wear isn't okay to wear. At all.

"Jade, where exactly are we going?" I ask out of curiosity.

"There's this an exclusive nightclub for very famous powerful people that I happened to score two passes to." She replies with pride in her voice.

"Jade I'm not sure I'm fit for a place that requires tickets or passes to get in," I tell her obviously not confident in myself.

"Don't worry about it, I've got it all figured out. Come sit." She tells patting on the back of the chair that's at her vanity.

What have I gotten myself into?

After an hour of having my face primed and plucked by Jade, she hands me a short black dress and some heels that no doubt I'll have trouble walking in. I stuff all my essentials into the tiny handbag she's given me and I have to admit she's completely changed the way I look.

"This is not me I say while looking in the mirror, I'm not that pretty," I say still shocked at my appearance.

"Yes, you are B I just helped bring out all the beautiful features you have naturally." She says back to me. "Now let's go we don't want to be late." She grabs my arm and drags me towards the door.

Let the night begin.