09.

Chapter 9

I make it, barely, to Fine Line Designs with Niall's coffee in one hand. The strap of my tote bag is falling off my shoulder as I rush and push through the glass doors.

"Morning, Jo!"

I look over at my new friend behind the reception desk. I flash her a smile while adjusting the strap back onto my shoulder. "Morning, Nicole. You look really pretty today," I tell her because it feels damn good to boost other's confidence up.

She complimented my hair again even though I didn't do much to it this time. I brushed my unwashed hair, sprayed on a copious amount of dry shampoo, got dressed, and rushed out of my apartment quickly. I couldn't risk running into August. Still, apart from having better hair days, I thank Nicole. Her smile was genuine enough for me to know she meant her compliment to me and that made me feel good.

I arrive on the second floor to see Niall. I could only hope I wouldn't catch him doing drugs again. Since then, I've found myself worrying about him late at night. I couldn't get the image of Niall snorting a line out of my head. Staring at the ceiling, I wondered what could have possibly led him to do that type of drug. And, has he done worse?

I lift my head from watching my steps when I hear a door slam. My eyes land on the familiar tall and intimidating man walking out of Niall's office. When I come to a full stop in my tracks, so does he. For a split second, I believe he's just a figment of my imagination. Is he there or have I gone mad?

He's not saying anything and neither am I. In his leather jacket and dark choice of clothing, he's looking at me up and down with a bottle of hard liquor in his left hand. He's giving me that damn smirk again.

"Harry," his name slips from my mouth before I even think to.

"Elle."

And, then he is off. I watch Harry walk away, swinging the bottle in his hand back and forth without the fear of it slipping from his tatted fingers. I huff and I'm unsure if it's because he called me Elle or because he left too quickly. I didn't get to ask him why he's here or why he just walked out of Niall's office.

Harry's disappeared and I'm left with racing thoughts and a skipping heartbeat.

Does he know Niall or is he sabotaging my place here at Fine Line Designs?

Shit.

My gut tells me he knows Niall, but my head—the part of my brain that overthinks every damn thing a little too much—tells me Harry is indeed trying to ruin me. Before I know it, I'm knocking at Niall's closed door.

Niall opens the door after a few anticipating seconds. "Jo! Come in," he says and waves me in.

"Morning, Niall," I greet and step into his office. I take a look around as if information about Harry's presence were written on the walls. Though, I get nothing from it. I set Niall's cup of coffee down onto his desk. His desk is rather clean without a drug in sight this time. When I turn around, I noticed Niall had peeked out in the hall before shutting his door.

He's then making his way towards me. "How are you?" He asks, walking around his desk to get to his chair.

"Uh, good. I mean, well, thanks for asking. How are you?" I then ask, smiling at him as I remain standing.

"Better now that Jo has brought me a cup of joe," he makes a joke and I force a laugh for him. Normally, my laugh would be unfeigned, but Harry—he's squirming his way into my thoughts.

I have to ask. "That guy that just walked out of your office, Harry- You know him?" I feel regretful soon after I let my curiosity speak for me. I would hate for Niall to think I'm being full-on nosy.