15.

Chapter 15

I made it. After a temporary breakdown in the backroom, I sucked it all up and marched back out to do my job. I needed the tips now more than ever and because of it, I touched up my makeup and made sure my breasts looked good.

I'm sitting on a bench in front of my locker at the end of the night. I'm left unashamed of the flirting with older men I've committed during my bartending. Now that I no longer have a boyfriend, I don't feel bad one bit. I tuck my bills into the side pocket of my travel bag. I stand and lift my bag to hang it onto my shoulder. I start to head out to leave this place, but I stop when my phone vibrates in the front pocket of my hoodie. I dig my hand into it and fish it out momentarily.

I frown when Matthew's sister is the one calling me. I blocked his number soon after composing myself from his visit so if this is him calling from his teenage sister's phone, I might just lose it.

"Hello," I answer after a second of hesitation.

"JoJo," his sister says through the line. "I-It's me, Rosie."

"Rosie, hi," I say softly, a little confused as to why she's calling me. This late, especially. "Is something wrong? What's up?"

"Matty, he-" She lets out a shaky breath. "He was found beaten b-badly. My mom and I just got to LA Medical Center. JoJo, it's bad."

Fuck. I feel my chest tighten and my body begins to shake over the sense of worry he doesn't deserve but is fully receiving. "I-How bad? What happened?" I ask as I remain in place.

"We don't know! We think he got mugged or something. The doctor was telling us over the phone that he's unconscious, but they're monitoring him. Again, I don't know. Please come, JoJo."

The ache in Rosie's voice does it for me. I nod, agreeing to go, even though she can't see me. Despite my developing hatred for the man, I'm not cruel enough to laugh over his concerning condition. "Yeah, yeah. I'm going. I'll call you when I'm there, okay?"

I hang up after she verbally agrees. I then proceed to walk out of the bar in a rush all while tapping at my screen to order another Uber.

I stand in the cold for a long and anxious-filled fifteen minutes until an Uber pulls in front. I double-check the license plate number, making sure it matches the one on my phone, before getting into the backseat. I'm thankful the driver drives in silence, not attempting to engage in a conversation with me because it's not what I need right now.

What the hell happened? I'm left wondering through the drive to the hospital.

"Thank you," I tell the driver while being sure to tip him with some of my earnings. I then get out of the car as he's parked in front of the large hospital entrance.

I'm walking towards it all while calling Rosie like I said I would. "Hey, I'm here. Where do I go?" I ask a little out of breath with the fast-walking I'm doing.

"Wait for me at the main entrance, I'll meet you there," Rosie says. I can then hear her tell her mother about my arrival. I pull my phone back when I've noticed she ended our call.

Walking through the clear sliding doors, I'm met with security guards and metal detectors.

"Ma'am, can you please open that bag?" The tall guard closest to me points his small flashlight at my travel bag.

I unzip my bag without sighing. I then set it on the table by my side for his inspection.

"Clothes? What, are you moving in here?" He feels the need to joke while digging his hands into my hectic packing. He also feels my laptop that sits at the bottom.