48!

RECAP

After finding out about the feud between her passing grandfather and Inferno-16 leader Dante, Joelle has a million more questions left unanswered. Though, all of it is pushed aside for now when she has an illicit job to get done. Under the order of Inferno-16 member Louis, Joelle is forcefully set to bring a black duffel bag from Mexico into the United States. Having to do it behind Harry's back, she's trying her hardest not to lose her damn mind. Guilt weighs heavy on her when she's meeting a side of Harry she hasn't met before.

Chapter 48

He carried me to our hotel room because he lost the race, though I was convinced he would've carried me anyway. After a makeout by the shore, time passed quicker than we expected. It was getting later and colder by the time we had come up for air in each other's kiss.

Pretending as if it was the end of a real date between two strangers, I thanked him for a lovely evening in front of our hotel door. I then pecked his lips to which he returned in such a gentle manner.

"Do you want to come in, maybe?" I said, continuing to play into the fake scenario we created.

"I'd love to," he responded with his lopsided grin.

I jumped into his arms again when all I wanted to do was to kiss him. I couldn't get enough, I was learning. Though, nothing amounted from the second lengthy makeout on our shared bed. Getting lost in our intimate kiss had been another level of pleasure that I enjoyed. It's when I realized we didn't have to fuck to feel something.

Our night ended with silent smiles and more rounds of soft kisses. It wasn't until I told him that I wanted to get ready for bed when he decided to join me in doing so. We put on comfortable clothing and washed our faces clean together.

"Do you want to put on this facemask with me?" I asked him after I had tied my hair back.

"Sure," he says without showing signs of being opposed to it. "What's it for?"

Looking at the container in my hands, I unscrewed the cap. "It's for deep hydration. It'll make your skin feel softer and brighter and it'll leave you glowing," I informed him with an excited smile. "Now, c'mere."

Harry stepped closer to me with his hair gathered at the top of his head with a clip. He leaned against the counter of the bathroom sink as I dipped my clean fingers into the facemask. I then painted it on his face, spreading a thin layer of the white mask all over. "S'cold," he commented.

"I know," I mumbled, finding myself admiring the way he looked with eyes closed and a resting frown on his face.

The night couldn't have ended any more perfectly. After washing off the masks we had on for over fifteen minutes, we channel-surfed until Harry found a movie. Though by the time he settled on it, I was dozing off from my place in his arms and my head on his chest. The sound of his heartbeat was the last thing I heard before I drowned in dreams that I wouldn't remember in the morning.

FIFTEEN HOURS UNTIL DROP

I wish sleep and being in his arms had lasted longer than it did. It feels as if I had just drifted off, but fresh daylight pours into the room and it's the start of a new day—or the day where I receive the duffle bag that Louis intends for me to take back into the states.

I sit up carefully when Harry remains sleeping. Not wanting to wake him, I move slowly when climbing out of bed. The moment I stand, he stirs but he doesn't wake up. In my sleep shorts and jumper, I hug myself when the room feels cold this early in the morning. I make my way to the bathroom with bare feet and once I'm in, I quietly shut the door.