41.

TRIGGER WARNING: brief discussion on the misuse of police authority, corruption, and racial profiling. mentions of abuse also ahead!

chapters referenced: 21, 26, 13

Chapter 41

Available Balance: $248,654.78

There was a moment when I thought hitting the jackpot was too good to be true. I thought, this doesn't happen in real life. I was convinced it had to be a mistake. How could I go from being completely broke to filthy rich in a matter of seconds? It's highly unrealistic for a girl who was born unlucky.

There was also a moment where I doubted him. The morning I woke up to an empty hotel room, my gut forced me to check the safe to see if my winnings had still been there. For a split second, I thought, what if Harry took off with my check and left me behind?

As if my doubt had been some twisted type of foreshadowing, I should've trusted my gut.

He's a liar.

At least, that's what I've convinced myself of.

I was in denial at first. I thought Harry would show up at my door and tell me it was all just a misunderstanding. The moment Louis and Liam had dropped me off home, I waited around for hours. I stared at my door from my place on the couch and he didn't show up.

What if I never won in the first place? What if the money wasn't mine, to begin with?

He didn't want me to spend it. He didn't want me to take it to the bank just yet, either. He could've had the check all this time and now it's as if I'm earning all the money back with a catch.

He used me.

Being weeks without hearing from him, I'm convinced it was all a lie.

"Jo."

I look up from my brand new phone—one I caved to purchase because I couldn't go without one. Locking my screen to hide my banking app, I set it aside and stand up when Matt greets me with open arms.

"Hey," I say, hugging Matt back in the café he asked for us to meet at. Arriving before him, I found us a table on the outdoor patio. "How are you?"

"Good, good," he says, awkwardly holding onto our hug. When my arms fall, he finally gets the hint to step back. "Sorry I'm late and thanks for finally meeting up with me. I know how busy you've been."

With a small smile, I take a seat on the metal chair and scoot in. "Yeah, so busy," I lie under my breath when in truth I've been afraid of seeing Matt again. I wanted to avoid him, but he's been relentless in trying to get me to sit down with him for a talk. "But it's fine... What have you been up to?"

"Um, well," he begins, but he looks around from the chair he sits in across from me. "Before we talk, should we order?"

"I already did," I then tell him. "Someone should bring it out any minute. I ordered your favorite."

"Oh, well thank you!" He smiles at me.

With a leg crossed over the other and leaned back in my seat, I fold my hands on my lap and I watch him. He looks better than ever and no longer badly bruised. To think August had been the one who attacked him many weeks ago was still surprising. I didn't think she had it in her to ever hurt somebody.

I've been wrong about a lot of things.

"So, why did you want to meet up?" I ask when my anxiety wants to crawl up on me.