58.

Chapter 58

By pure luck, we didn't get caught.

Successfully making it back to our bunk in lent pajamas without making too much noise, we squeeze into the twin bed again. I then smile as we get into the same position as we were in before, but now I'm hardly sleepy.

"Are you comfortable?" He asks in a whisper.

As my thigh rests over his waist, I nod. "More than comfortable. What about you?"

His hand touches the side of my thigh and as he buds our noses together, he nods as well. "Try getting some sleep, okay?"

I lift my hand off his arm to reach for the blanket. "But I'm not tired anymore," I say, my voice becoming less of a whisper when I hear loud snores coming from other bunks in the room. As I bring the blanket over our heads, I say, "It's like I have a surge of energy going through me."

"Yeah?" He stifles a laugh.

"Yeah... but if you're tired, please close your eyes?"

Sliding his hand underneath my shirt, I feel his fingertips stroke along my skin. "Not tired," he mumbles. "Just wish we had a little more privacy."

"Me, too. Why do you think I put this blanket over our heads? Makes it better, doesn't it?"

"Sure," he says and finally laughs, but rather quietly.

"But if we're wishing for things," I continue to talk. "then I wish we could be on a beautiful island together or something."

I think his eyes are closed when he says, "I see it. You, on a daybed, sunbathing while reading a book."

Closing my eyes to picture the scenery with him, I say, "That sounds amazing. What are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm right next to you," he says softly. "Completely jealous over the way the sun is kissing your skin... and struck over the way the shore doesn't captivate me the way you do... and I'm sitting there thinking, maybe there is a God after all when you exist."

I'm smiling so hard that the high points of my cheeks feel red and as he kisses my head, I feel it all—the butterflies and the warm fuzzy feeling sink in. I then reach for his face, feeling the growing stubble under my fingertips. His sweet words take me on a high, but the low simmers in as soon as I realize he painted a dream a little too well. Distracting from the way we aren't in actual paradise, I then whisper, "You know... no one's ever spoken to me the way that you do."

"Is that bad?" He's curious and it makes me stroke at his cheek.

"No, God, no... it's validating to hear how you think when—" I pause for a second.

"When, what?"

"When it used to be so hard to read you... when you used to hate my guts," I admit under the sheets.

"Now hate is a strong word," he mumbles and under my touch, I feel him grin. "Couldn't stand you, maybe... but hate, my sweet girl?"

"Don't downplay your feelings now," I tease. "It's okay to recognize how far we've come, don't you think?"

I hear his soft breathing and feel his hand on my waist when he soon hums in agreement. Wishing I could see his eyes through this darkness, I picture them instead—they're vibrant as ever. I then match his grin but quickly bite my lip when all I want to do is kiss him.

In the middle of silence, he then whispers, "So, not even that... tool of an ex has told you just how beautiful you are?"

I shake my head as there's disbelief behind his voice. "Just you... and you don't know how incredible it makes me feel when you compliment me."