42.

a/n: this chapter will take you on trip down memory lane. most of it is retold through harry's perspective with a dash of extra content to better understand the narrative. we'll jump back into real time after this one <3

chapters referenced: 30, 32, 39

________

HARRY

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
FOUR WEEKS AGO

I hate this.

I fucking hate everything about this.

"That wasn't the plan," I say to Vamp through the line. Standing in the middle of the casino floor, I look around to see a sea of people completely scattered.

"Yeah, well it is now. You make her play the Triple Seven slot machine and obtain that check."

"No," I huff. "I'm leaving her the fuck out of this. She's not going to gamble while she's here anyway. So I'm sticking to the original plan... the one where I steal the check from whoever hits the rigged jackpot then bring it to you."

"Dante wants you to use her. You don't really have a say, Pierce. He wants to see her name on that check."

Fucking hell.

He knows.

"Why?" I question. "Why, all of sudden, change the plan? Why her?"

Smacking his lips together, Vamp then heaves a sigh. "Shit, I don't know... I mean, it would save you the fucking hassle of having to stalk a stranger and steal their check."

That's not why.

I've discovered a few things about Jo—things she's completely unaware of. I've yet to tell her that her whole life has practically been a lie, but I can't bring it on myself to break the news. She's been through enough already.

Dante knows what I know. He knows where she comes from and the type of blood that courses through her. It has to be the only reason why he's making me involve her in his laundered money scheme.

"I want to talk to Dante," I then say to Vamp, knowing the risk that comes with trying to bargain with the Devil.

"Sorry, Pierce... I can't help you there."

I lean over the bar tabletop, underneath the gazebo built in the middle of the floor. I sigh when I'm running out of choices. "Vamp, wait... If I do this, we leave her alone for good."

The fuck chuckles again. "Listen, I know you're obsessed with her or some shit. You know, after killing someone for her... but if Dante says to do it, do it."

I tighten my jaw as he only feeds the hatred I hold towards one of the men who has ruined my life. "I'm not obsessed with her," I snap and let my eyes look over at the bottles of liquor taunting me on the shelf behind the bar. "In fact... I'm planning on ditching her the moment we get back to LA so—"