62.

Chapter 62

I avoided the ticking time bomb in my hands, in hopes it wouldn't blow up in my face. I think my blind optimism has failed me again and I'm left to curse myself for letting it get to this point.

I never allowed myself to think of what would happen if they were to ever find out. Maybe because the thought scared me. Maybe because if anything were to ever happen to him, I'd never forgive myself.

There was a string of silence in the room when I couldn't answer Eileen. My lips parted to speak, but nothing came out after she searched for the truth.

I watched her eyes fall from mine to look at the floor. She might feel betrayed and it's because I lied to her. I never saw her in a more serious state when she looked at Harry and told him, "Get the fuck up. Now. You're going to follow me."

Watching Harry comply, I tried to block the door. I tried to tell her that we could talk it out without going anywhere, but she ignored me and shoved right past me.

I felt my lip quiver out of frustration. I couldn't read her mind. I couldn't tell where she was leading Harry to. My mind, on fire, led to the worst, and figured she would out him to the rest of the Angelos. From there, I wouldn't know what to do.

But Eileen headed for an empty room. One that looked like an interrogation room, almost. Except, there was only a chair and a single light fixture that flickered above it.

"Eileen," I say her name again when I enter the room with them.

"Either close the damn door or get the fuck out," she bitterly snaps at me, giving me attention after purposely ignoring me. Then, she looks at Harry. "And you, sit the fuck down."

Harry and I share a look as the both of us don't see where this is going, but we do what she says.

Eileen scoffs under her breath as she heads for a red cabinet tucked in the corner of the room. She also mutters something, but I can't make it out. She then turns and I see she holds a zip tie. She makes her way to Harry.

"Eileen, we can explain everything," I say, hoping she wouldn't tie him. Though, ignoring me again, she roughly gathers his arms and ties his wrists together behind the chair.

"I- We never meant to lie," I begin as she walks to stand in front of Harry. Just as I'm about to explain further, she fishes a knife from her pocket and flips the blade. "Eileen!"

After ensuing a brief panic in me, she only uses it to cut through his sweatshirt in the place where his tattoo is. On his right rib cage where he's permanently marked, she takes another look as if she hoped it wouldn't be there anymore.

Her eyes lift, looking right into Harry's when she asks, "Who are you?"

"My name is-" He pauses only to swallow a lump in his throat. "Harry. I've been with the Infernos for almost seven years and I was Dante's right-hand man."

At the truth, Eileen frowns. "Was?"

He sits up, but it's difficult when his hands are tied behind his back. "Yeah, was. Meaning, I'm not anymore. I fled from the Infernos after-"

When he pauses again, Eileen impatiently shouts, "After what?!"

"After Dante found out about Jo. After he tried to fucking use her as part of a vendetta against Angelo Veca. You want the whole truth? I didn't meet Jo in Mexico. I met her here in LA in a tattoo shop I ran as a front for Dante. I met her around the time Dante was discovering that the Angelos were back. He put me on a mission to find out how it was possible and to kill the Veca bloodline. Except, I couldn't do that. Then, I had this plan to lie to him. I figured if I told him I was out killing Angelos and the Veca bloodline, he would lay off."