Chapter 12: "Who are we to eachother?"

The pair sat there for some time in each other's embrace. Yibo finally stopped crying and wiped away the tears from his face; his heart was still broken as always, but it felt better than before, it felt as if a huge burden had been lifted from his shoulders. As he was about to say something, a hand patted his head softly, and the next few words said from his father, left him shocked and frozen.

"Yibo.. I love you, son.."

• • • • • • •

       Yibo sat there, stunned, looking directly at his father in utter disbelief and shock. "What..?" He muttered softly, furrowing his brows while tilting his head slightly to the right. Before his father could say anything, a knock on the dorr was heard along with a few words said.

"Yibo..? It's me, Zhan. Can I come in?" He said from the other side of the door, as Yibo replied to him soon after. "Yeah, the door is open" Shifting to a more straight and welcoming posture, he mumbled a 'hi' to Zhan as the taller male made his way in the room. Acknowledging the presense of an elder sitting beside Yibo, Zhan bowed with a gentle smile on his face and walked over to the latter's bed.

"How've you been..?" Concern and gentleness took over his voice as he caressed Yibo's hand, softly. "Fine. Just.. had a nightmare but it's fine now" He replied, not bearing a glance to Zhan, looking down at his hands; he looked as if he was in deep thoughts and arguing with his mind.

There was a moment of silence before it was broken down by the older man, clearing his throat to drive the attention of the two boys, to himself; making both of them look in his direction. "Right so, who are you?" The older said sternly, looking at the boy sitting beside Yibo.

Zhan felt his ears turn a slight shade of pink, from embarrassment, as he felt stupid for not introducing himself earlier. "O-oh right, I..um, myself XiaoZhan, I'm 25 and I'm an-" he was cut off mid sentence as the older male spoke. "I know that. I meant who are you to my son?" He asked once again, now making his question more clear and straightforward.

That's where both of the younger boys got stuck. Who actually were they to each other? Strangers? Most definitely not. Friends? They never considered each other as friends, their hearts didn't want them to consider themselves as just friends? Lovers? Who are they joking, none of them are even sure about their feelings towards the other. So, the question arises again, who are they to each other and what is their relationship?

Mr. Wang noticed how both of the boys were silent and just looking into each other's eyes for any answer; finding none. "That'll be my cue to leave. You, Mr. Xiao, take care of him for me while I'm gone. Yibo, I'll visit you again whenever I've got the time" and with that being said, he got up from the bed and out of the room, leaving two confused and speechless boys, behind.

"Yibo..." Zhan said, tightening his grip on the Yibo's hand, making the other look at him. "You said you had a nightmare last night. What.. was it about?" He asked, looking into the older's eyes, once again. "No." Yibo stated, abruptly moving his hand out of Zhan's grip, startling the other a bit.

"H-huh? What do you mean no? I mean if you-" and once again, his sentence to cut off. "I said no, I'm not telling you. Just.. Just get out, I don't wanna see your right now" he said, looking at anywhere but in Zhan's direction. "Yibo listen I-" "I said get out!" Yibo raised his voice, making the other look ar him in confusion. Zhan didn't know what got into the older, all of the sudden, but he obliged and got out of the room, giving Yibo the space he wanted.