Chapter 5: Promises were made

"Wei Ying.."

The voice rang in his head, through his ears, sending a euphoric feeling down his entire body. He stood there, his hands holding onto the flute delicately yet firmly, his mouth touching the opening of the flute, as his light blowing was interrupted by the soft and familiar voice.

'Lan Zhan..' He thought as he turned around slowly, while the wind blew swiftly. Seeing the familiar figure standing in front of him, he couldn't help but give out a sudden yet warm smile.

His eyes got glossy; his soulmate was there, in front of him. "Wei Ying.." The voice called out again, now even in a softer and more calm tone. "Lan Zhan" he replied, looking at the man standing in front of him.

He didn't have control over his body, as his feet started working on their own and ran in the direction of the other man, hugging him tightly; embracing himself in his warmth.

They both hugged as the Lan brushed his fingers through the other's soft hair, his other hand drawing little circles on the younger's back.

"Wei Ying.." Lan Wangji said in a questioning tone, grabbing the other man's attention. "Promise me" he said as he looked into his soulmate's eyes, with love and depth, caressing his cheek while at it.

"Hm? Promise you what Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian asked while softly smiling. "Promise me"

"That you'll never again leave me, and if you happen to do so, come back to me"

Hearing Wangji's serious tone while those words came out of his mouth, Wei Ying decided to follow up to that sentence. "I promise" "Now you promise me too Lan Zhan" He said, smiling softly while getting closer to the other.

"Mn?" The short and simple reply was all it took for Wuxian to bring their foreheads together and rub his nose against the older's. "Promise me..

That even if I leave you, you'll find me..

And not forget about me.."

As he completed the sentence, Wangji was quick to reply "I promise Wei Ying.. I promise" he said as he finally closed the gap between the two of them, pulling his lover into a soft kiss

The next day, the two soulmates wandered through different towns, their hands interlocked and people's eyes on them, but none of them cared, as long as the other was with them.

As Wei Wuxian started becoming tired, they decided to take rest at an inn, overnight. As they walked in the inn, the warm and comfortable atmosphere welcomed them in.

Lan Wangji booked a room for them, for a night stay, after which they headed towards the specified room. The room was nice; had a nice double bed, a side table with some scrolls on it, some flower plants by the window, overall the room was pleasant.

As the night went on and they slept soundly in each other's embrace, a noise was quick to startle Wuxian in his sleep.

He got up, his eyes still half closed, looking around the room for the source of the noise, yet he found nothing. Brushing off the feeling, assuring himself that it was probably a cat or dog from outside the inn, he got in his bed and feel asleep.