Chapter 4: Special

As the call ended, there was a messege left from the same number. Out of curiosity, Zhan opened it and the shock on his face after reading the message, was filled with horror and confusion.

The number might be unknown to Zhan, but the owner of the number was quite familiar and known to Zhan....

•••••••••

        "Just pick it up, it's the third time your phone's ringing" Yibo said in an irritated tone, referring to Zhan who wasn't picking up his phone even after three rings and some text messages.

As Zhan was about to talk, his phone rang again, but this time Yibo snatched the phone from Zhan's hand and answered the call while it was on speaker. It all happened so quickly that Zhan didn't have the time to protest.

"Oho~ seems like you've finally picked it up partner" a voice said on the other side of the call. Yibo didn't know why but he had this urge to find the owner of the number and punch him down to the ground.

As Yibo was about to question the caller, Haikuan came running towards them. Cutting the call immediately, Yibo and Zhan both averted their attention to Haikuan, who was now standing in front of them, panting and panicked.

"Yibo, you have to go right now, I know your task was later but we have to rush the plan.. I'll keep an eye on Zhan, just go" Haikuan said reassuring Yibo that he would take care of Zhan in the mean time.

As soon as the news was broke to Yibo, he stood up, giving the phone back to Zhan, and running to where he was needed. Haikuan sat down in front of a very confused Zhan.

Just as Zhan was about to question Haikuan, a gunshot was heard, startling Zhan. His eyes wide open, his face went pale and it seemed like he stopped breathing for a second.
Horrified, Zhan tried saying something but no words came out of his mouth.

Just seeing the utter shock on Zhan's face, Haikuan grabbed Zhan by the wrist and dragged him out of the main hall, into a small dark room. "I have to go, you stay here, don't even dare go out of this room until me or Yibo are back" Haikuan said in a stern tone before running out if the room.

Zhan's heart was still beating fast from the shock. He gulped down as he reached for his phone with shaky hands. Typing in the password, he opened his phone to distract himself.

As he did, the first thing that popped up on his screen was a message from an unknown number. Of course, Zhan was curious, but he dared not to open the text. Heaving a sigh, Zhan put his phone back in his pocket as he knew he couldn't just be distracted so easily.

Closing his eyes, Zhan sat down on the floor, leaning his back against the wall. A few seconds passed by in which Zhan calmed down his breathing.

Calm before the storm. That was the only and best phrase to fit the situation...

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN?! DIDN'T YOU SAY THAT HIS SAFETY WAS YOUR GUARANTEE?!" Yibo yelled as he raged towards his father. The other wanted to calm their boss down, but they knew better than to talk to an angry Yibo.

It would be like fuel to an already burning fire. Even his own father didn't dare to say anything in this situation, where Yibo would basically kill anyone who would even try to talk to him.

"Safety my ass! Look what happened! He would've been dead if I didn't reach there on time!" Yibo yelled as he stormed out of the room.

Walking up the stairs of his mansion, he reached the third floor, where Zhan was resting in the infirmary. He slowly opened the door and walked in the room quietly, not wanting to disturb the resting figure.

He sat down on a chair beside the bed that the other male was resting on, for the time being. Yibo stared at the male figure, laying in front of him. There were tears brimming in Yibo's eyes, his lips were trembling and his hands were getting shaky.

For some reason, he felt broken, seeing the other male lay there on the bed, almost lifeless. Yibo's heart ached at the sight, but he didn't know why. He didn't know why he was hurting this much, he didn't know why he was getting so emotional because of someone.

One thing Yibo knew, and was sure of, was that he was never gonna let Zhan be in danger, ever. As he was still in his own world, Zhan opened his eyes slowly. As his eyelids lifted from his eyes, he was met with a sight he never thought he would see.

Yibo was there sitting beside him, his head was down and a slight sniff could be heard. "Yibo..?" Zhan quietly mumbled. Yibo was caught off guard, he quickly wiped away his tears and sat back up in a normal position.

"Uh.. Yes?" He said, trying not to stutter and sound like nothing happened, looking at Zhan but quickly averting his gaze. "What... What happened?" Zhan asked, looking at Yibo with a confused yet concerned look.

"You.. Nothing, never mind. I'll tell you later, now's not the time." Yibo said, as he hesitated telling Zhan the truth. "Anyway it's quite late.. The nurse will bring you dinner, eat and go back to sleep"

Saying this, Yibo got up from the chair, without bearing a glance at Zhan, and leaving the room quietly, like nothing happened. Closing the door behind him, Yibo walked off to his room.

Silence. Only silence could be found in Yibo's room. The room was silent, but his mind was full of thoughts and concerns. He couldn't stop thinking about what happened earlier, with Zhan.

Yibo wasn't the type to take these types of things seriously. He wouldn't care for anyone else this much, even if he knew them for a long time. But there was something about Zhan that clicked to Yibo. He wasn't like anyone else Yibo knew or had met, he was.. Special.

He kept turning and tossing in his bed, trying his best to clear his mind and sleep but he couldn't. His thoughts were only engaged by Zhan. He finally gave up and grabbed his phone from the night stand.

'02:47 AM' the time read. As he was scrolling through social media, he stumbled upon a post by one of his highschool classmates.

The picture was of a man, happily sipping on some bubble tea. It looked as if the picture was taken from afar and then zoomed in afterwards, as it was very blurr indeed.

The man was wearing a black turtle neck with a cream beige coat and a white and cream beige beanie. The male's hair was black and he was wearing a pair of glasses. As he was holding the cup of bubble tea near his face, his hand was also in the picture. It seemed as if the man was wearing a sliver ring in his ring finger.

Yibo didn't even notice but he was lost in the picture, noticing every little detail he could. Finally after noticing his deed, he shook his head and came out of his trance. His eyes wandered to the corner of his phone.

'03:01 AM' the time read. He yawned as he closed his phone and put it away, on the night stand. Closing his eyes, Yibo finally drifted into a peaceful sleep.

"You really think I will let you get away with snatching my most prized piece.." A dark and deep voice said, following the previous sentence with a devilish chuckle.

~End of Chapter 4~