Chapter One: Coffee Stain

Can Yaman closed his eyes trying to remember her face. Her long hair, her brown eyes, and the way she smelled like orange blossom. Her laugh, her smile, the way she looks at him when they were on the same page in an inside joke.

It was all a memory now.

He put her picture down and put his hands in his pockets, taking in the now all-too-familiar, all-too-empty room. This was their safe haven, their home. But now it was just an old shack full of memories.

He couldn't take it anymore. He had to go back to Istanbul, Turkey.

Bulgaria was a place Can learned to love when he was with Demet. When she was alive. Demet was a Bulgarian Turk, and having engaged 3 years ago, Can and Demet decided to live in Sofia, Bulgaria. Can and Demet were together for 7 years, 7 wonderful years. He could still remember that February 5 night when he proposed to her.

Can took Demet's hand and kissed it. He knew what he wanted to say. Or ask was the better term.

"Demet, we've been together for seven years," he started to say. "And I fall in love with you more and more each passing day."

Demet looked at him intently, carefully listening to every word that came out of his mouth.

"Demet, you are my everything. I don't---I can't imagine my life without you. Truly. I'd be lost. I fell in love with you at hello and will love you from here to eternity."

Can suddenly got on one knee, and tears fell from Demet's eyes. He kissed her hand again, this time lingering.

"Demet, you are all things kind and generous with a huge heart for loving and caring for others. For me. I love you. Will you marry me?" he said, carefully wording it so his voice wouldn't crack. He wanted to sound sincere, as his heart was.

"No."

"What? Why?!"

Demet laughed. "I was kidding! Yes, yes! I will marry you!"

He laughed and got up, pulled her to him and kissed her. He couldn't wait to wake up every morning with her, to take care of her. This time it was going to be forever.

"Sir Yaman?"

Can's thoughts were interrupted by the call of his secretary. He wiped the tear that was threatening to fall from his eyes and collected himself.

"Yes?"

"Your limo is ready to take you to the airport, Sir."

"Thank you."

He took one last look at the room. He was going to leave it all behind. All the memories. All the happiness, the pain, and the girl.

It's been three years, he thought.

But still feels like yesterday when I got that dreaded phone call.

Can gathered his things from his office. He worked as an architect in his own architectural firm, Yaman Designs. He had just finished a meeting with a billionaire client who wanted him to design the newest hotel that would be built in Sofia.

He was excited to tell it all to Demet. She, too, had been anticipating this moment since they've been waiting for weeks for this client to come through.

Can bought flowers and chocolates and ordered catering to their mansion for their special dinner. This was a huge thing. Can will now be one of the most in-demand and famous architects in Bulgaria. They had to celebrate.

He got home first and got people to set it all up. The dining room and the living room were filled with rose petals and balloons and food. Each one was Demet's favorite. Can wore a three piece black suit, patiently waiting for Demet in the living room. He had texted her what time she was going to arrive and she promised she'd be there at 8 PM.

It was 9 o'clock in the evening. It's been an hour and Demet still hasn't come home.

"She probably had some last minute papers to grade," Can tried to convince himself. Demet worked as a Philosophy Professor at Sofia University.

Another hour has passed. Not even a text.

"Where on earth is she?" Can muttered to himself.

Then his phone rang. And he didn't know it was a phone call that would change his life forever.

"Demet, where are you---"

"Is this Mr. Can Yaman?" a man said.

"Oh, uh, yes. This is he. Who's calling?"

"Good evening, Mr. Yaman. This is Officer Anton Emilov. We're very disheartened to tell you that Miss Demet Ozdemir's car was found crashed in Iskar River. Unfortunately, Mr. Yaman, Miss Demet was also found inside. We took her to the hospital as soon as we got her out, but she has been declared dead on arrival. The hospital we took her in is Lozenetz University Hospital..."

"Sir Yaman, we have arrived."

His thoughts were once again interrupted as the driver told him they have arrived at the airport. He was thankful though, at the interruption. He was going back again. Way back to the night she died. And it was breaking him inside again.

Can's assistants immediately went up to him and carried his bags. He looked at his plane ticket that said: "5:30 PM departure." He checked his watch. 4:30 PM. He had one hour to wait at the sky lounge.

"Sir Yaman, Miss Guldem asked if you will be taking one of her private planes to Istanbul today since..."

"No need, Zeynep," Can told his secretary. "I've already booked a flight to Istanbul in Business Class. Please tell mother I won't be needing her help."

"Yes, of course, Sir."

The airport was busy and that's how Can liked it. He didn't want to be alone with his thoughts. For three years, he had to keep himself busy. He used his job as his escape. He did become one of the most in-demand and famous architects in Bulgaria. He is now a self-made multi-millionaire yet he didn't care. Sofia was now a place he never wanted to go back.

He stepped in line to get coffee at Cakey Bakey, then he was going to read a book in the Airport Sky Lounge. He looked at the options, trying to avoid the ones he and Demet used to drink together.

"One Affogato please," Can said.

He took his drink, paid the cashier and tried to find an unoccupied table. He found one facing the window and walked slowly to it. Until, freezing cold liquid spilled onto his Gucci cashmere wool coat.

That was cold. And frustrating.

Can let out an exasperated sigh and looked who it was who just ruined his $3,800 dollar coat.

"I am so sorry, I didn't see you and this is my first time here..."

As mad as he was, he couldn't help but notice how beautiful the girl was. Her long, brown hair that fell just above her shoulder, those deep brown eyes, and those full lips. She looked just about the same age as him. She tried to wipe the coffee stain on his white shirt, but she only made it worse. Annoyed at the girl, he stopped her and pulled her arm away.