Chapter Thirteen: The Offer

"What is this place?"

Devrim asked Evren as they went to a sketchy neighborhood in downtown Istanbul. There were thugs in the area playing cards and drinking. Evren took Devrim's hand and led him to a small restaurant.

"Are you nervous?" Evren laughed.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Devrim said. "You're taking me to an unknown restaurant in the middle of the night and there are thugs in the area."

"Hey, come on. They're good guys," Evren chuckled. "I owe them a lot."

They both sat an empty table. Devrim looked around, scanning the place.

"Why?" Devrim asked.

"Well, there was one time I was heading to this restaurant and a group of guys in leather jackets tried to hurt me," Evren said. "And luckily those guys were outside playing cards, so they saw me, and fought off the guys in leather jackets. We've been friends ever since."

"I guess you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover," Devrim said.

"What do you wanna order?" Evren asked.

"Uh, I'll have what you're having."

"Two sweet spaghettis please," Evren told the waiter.

"So, Evren, how will you convince Ozge to go on a date with me?" Devrim asked.

"I'll just tell her," Evren said. "Ozge's my best friend. I can get through to her. Don't worry."

The waiter arrived and gave them their spaghettis. They both thanked him and ate their food. Devrim's eyes widened as he tasted the unfamiliar pasta in his mouth.

"This tastes so good," Devrim exclaimed. "It's different, but it's good."

"Right?" Evren beamed. "The owner here is a Filipino. Apparently sweet spaghetti is very popular in the Philippines. Mom and I used to go here as a kid. Mom's foster parents were Filipinos living in Turkey, and this was her favorite dish as a child."

"Where's your mom?" Devrim asked, as he ate.

"I don't know," Evren said, smiling wistfully. "She ran away when I was thirteen years old. I'm thirty now. And not even one word from her."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked," Devrim said.

"No, it's fine. I'm glad you did. I haven't really thought about my mom for a long time. It's nice to remember the old days."

"Well, your mom missed out a lot," Devrim said. "You're one of the coolest people I know."

Evren looked at him and chuckled.

"You know, you're alright, Devrim. I never thought I'd say that."

"What?" Devrim laughed. "So you thought I wasn't alright before?"

Evren laughed and nodded. They finished their food, talked a bit more, and went home.

***

"What happened last night?" Efe asked Can as they drank their morning coffee at the hotel restaurant. The sun was shining over them and the breeze was cool. It was a great morning.

"What do you mean?" Can asked.

Efe narrowed his eyes. "Come on. I know you and Ozge went out last night. I knocked into your suite and there was no answer. I headed outside and found your car was gone. Did you take her to your special spot?"

Can shrugged, trying to play it off.

"Yeah," he said, taking a sip of his coffee. "It was... not a big deal."