Chapter Two: Strawberries

"I am so sorry, I'm new here..."

"Clearly," Can said, letting out an exasperated sigh.

The girl stopped to look at him and squinted her eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she said, crossing her arms.

"Exactly how I meant it," Can said, walking past the girl and taking a seat by the window.

Can took his phone out and called Zeynep.

"Zeynep, can you please go to Cakey Bakey here at the airport? I need a change of clothes," Can said, watching the girl sit across from him.

The girl smiled as she looked at Can. Dang, this girl is beautiful, Can thought. She gave Can a cappuccino. Can looked at it and raised his eyebrow.

"What's that?" he asked.

"Cappuccino. My peace offering for spilling coffee all over your clothes," she said.

Cappuccino. Demet's favorite. She was the one who got Can into coffee. Can used to hate coffee, until Demet made him taste one. Cappuccino was his favorite too. But now, he hated the sight of it. It just reminded him of her. The mornings they spent in their balcony drinking cappuccino was something he would never get to do with her again. For him, cappuccino was a tragedy waiting to happen.

"Look, don't worry about it. Also, I don't drink cappuccino," Can said, going back to reading.

"What? Everybody loves cappuccino," the girl said.

"Well, I'm not like everybody else, Miss..."

"Ozge," Ozge said, taking her hand out. "Ozge Gurel."

Can looked at her from his book, saying nothing and refusing to shake her hand. Ozge's smile faded and was replaced with a scowl.

"Are you always this rude when you meet new people?" Ozge asked.

Can chuckled. "I don't really meet new people that often. For the record, you are the first new person I've met in three years, Miss Ozge."

"Well, maybe because you don't always make a good impression," Ozge retorted.

Can laughed and shook his head and turned back to his reading. He watched as she ate her bread and drank the cappuccino. Then she turned her head and watched a couple that was heading their way.

"Oh my gosh, what is he doing here?" Ozge muttered.

Can followed her gaze. She was looking at a tall guy, probably about 5'11, had a full head of hair and a short beard. He was holding hands with a brunette woman that was obviously his girlfriend. Honestly, he thought the guy looked smug. He watched as Ozge nervously drank her coffee. She was shaking.

"Are you okay?" Can asked.

"Hey, Ozge."

Can looked up from his seat and saw it was the guy Ozge was looking at.

"He-hey, Mahzun," Ozge said, the nervousness in her voice was evident.

"I thought you left Bulgaria? What are you still doing here?" the guy names Mahzun said. "Are you following me? Seriously, Ozge, we broke up two weeks ago, you have to move on. You're acting like a complete idiot following me around..."

Who is this guy? Can thought to himself. I'm guessing this is her ex-boyfriend, who just dumped her two weeks ago. Smug. Someone who thinks he's all high and mighty. Why is he treating Ozge like this? And why is she letting him?

"Look, Mahzun, I wasn't following you---"

"Mon amour, qui est-ce? (My love, who is this?)" Can said, taking out his hand to hold Ozge's.