Chapter Eight: The Tour Guide

Ozge woke up to a bunch of familiar voices talking downstairs. She checked her phone. It as already 9 o'clock in the morning. How could she have slept so much? She guessed cooking last night really made her tired.

She immediately went to the bathroom, took a shower, changed into a dress, and went downstairs. She found Perran and two of their farmers talking to Can Yaman. They kinda looked liked they were arguing, but in a calm manner.

Can saw her walking down the stairs, and immediately stopped what he was doing. She smiled at him and he smiled back, seemingly never taking his eyes off her.

"Good morning," Ozge greeted.

"Good morning," Can said, nodding.

"What's going on? Why is there a meeting so early in the morning?" Ozge said, walking up to them.

Can cleared his throat. Perran stood up and smiled.

"Daughter, we were just talking. Mr. Can Yaman says in the long run, he might just buy the strawberry farm for himself," Perran worded it carefully, trying to ease the tension.

"WHAT?" Ozge exclaimed, then she turned to Can. "I'm sorry, Mr. Can, I know you're a multi-millionaire and all that, but you can't just buy something that other people worked so hard their entire lives for! That's not how it works!"

"Ozge, calm down," Perran whispered, then she dragged Ozge to the kitchen, away from the living room.

"Mom, why aren't you mad? He's taking advantage of the fact that he's our client! And that he already deposited 10 million liras! I swear---"

"Ozge, it's not that deep. He said he has been thinking about it, and he decided to tell us now just so we wouldn't be surprised if he made the offer one day," Perran said, caressing the top of Ozge's head to calm her down. "Anyway, he said that it is subject to change. And I hope it does change. I can see Can is a good guy."

"I hope it does," Ozge said, rolling her eyes.

"Anyway, Can wants to tour the strawberry farm today. I told him that you will be his tour guide," Perran said.

"WHAT?" Ozge exclaimed once again. "Mom, I don't want to! I can't even stand being in the same room as that conceited guy! No way!"

"Ozge, come on. Besides, you might just be able to change his mind about buying the farm," Perran winked.

"And here we harvest the strawberries that we've been waiting for three months," Ozge smiled as she led Can to the strawberry field. The strawberry field was big, measuring 5 hectares in total. The farmers were busy picking strawberries and putting them into baskets.

"Very beautiful," Can said. "I'm guessing it's very busy here everyday."

"That's right," Ozge said, then she turned to look at him. "People here pour out their blood, sweat, and tears for their work. They love the farm and they love taking care of the strawberries. We don't sell the farm, Sir Can. I hope you know that."

Can smiled and nodded. Ozge proceeded to the next stage of the tour.

It was now 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Can and Ozge toured the strawberry farm all day. They at under the tree, just ten meters away from the strawberry field. It was windy, and the sun was going down. Ozge looked at Can, who seemed too silent and too dejected.

"You seem sad," Ozge said.

"What makes you say that?" Can said, still looking over the horizon.

"Well, I can see it in your eyes," Ozge smiled. "Even when you smile, there's sadness along with it."

Can chuckled lightly and looked down.