Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Moral Law

Ozge cried as she walked home. The colorful lights from the digital billboards and different restaurants made her teary eyes shine more. She clutched her sling bag, trying to get Can out of her head.

She couldn't.

How? How could she have told him all of that? How could she have lied to him? How could she have hurt him like that? Maybe Can will never forgive her now. Maybe that's easier that way. Maybe he'd forget about her sooner and would stay away from her. Problem solved, right?

Wrong.

Because Ozge felt horrible now more than ever.

She felt the drizzle touch her skin, gradually increasing into rain but she didn't care. She deserved it. Maybe someday it would all just hurt less. But it seemed impossible with the pain she was feeling.

She arrived at their house two hours later, soaking from the rain. Perran immediately got a towel and wrapped Ozge with it.

"Daughter, what happened? Why are you soaking wet?" Perran exclaimed, tapping Ozge's head with the towel.

"I did it," Ozge gave her a fake smile. "I broke up with Can. I told him I can't be with him anymore. Maybe he hates me now, and maybe that's better, right?"

Perran sighed and looked at Ozge with worry. Her daughter was hurting. But what could she do?

"Ozge..."

"I'm tired, Mom. I'm gonna go to bed. I'm not gonna eat dinner," Ozge said, slowly walking up the stairs.

Perran watched her daughter until she was out of her sight.

***

Can sat on the grass of the Gurel strawberry farm, looking at the sky. It had just finished raining and the sky was full of stars. There was one star, however, that stood out.

"Ozge," Can muttered. "Will you only stay up there in the sky? Won't you come down here and be with me?"

Can chuckled lowly, realizing he was talking to himself. He laid down on the grass and closed his eyes as the cool evening breeze kissed his skin.

Before you, Ozge, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason... and then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn't see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything.

Ozge stepped out of the balcony and sat on the couch, looking up at the stars. She gazed at her star, the star Can bought for her.

"I hope whenever you look up the sky and see this star, you think of me."

She could still remember Can's exact words. How he looked at her that night. Ozge smiled sadly, knowing she would probably never see Can smile at her again. Never gonna feel his arms around her again. Never gonna feel his lips on hers again.

"Can," Ozge whispered. "Maybe if things were different, and I wasn't the reason your fiance died, maybe we'd still be together right now. Maybe you'd be here."

The evening breeze came and kissed Ozge's skin and she closed her eyes as memories of her and Can filled even the deep crevices in her mind.

Can, I remember the breeze, how it was as cold as the human heart - perhaps even more. There was the fresh air I barely recognized - almost growing unfamiliar because the city made my lungs forget.

I remember the first time I saw the rural midnight sky, and the first time the rural midnight sky saw me. I remember how little or small I felt, faced amidst all the vastness and resplendence. I remember how it's times like those when I all the more affirm the existence of God.

I remember every bend in the road, every slope of the mountain, every shade of green. I remember the clouds, the fog, the mist, the non-humid breeze, the life's lightness. I remember how "everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt."

I remember how I didn't want to be in photographs mostly because I am terrified I might only ruin the view.

But what I remember most of all is you, Can. I remember our prosaic musings and arguments for the sake of arguing. I remember your thoughts unfolding like walls enclosing me so I could feel all the more at home. I remember how drained we were of seeking for answers because everything has already been found. I remember how we were not finding love in each other, but we were finding each other in that love.

And I remember how dangerous it was to finally have something I am horribly afraid of losing.

Light begins to pass through the scattered clouds in the wee hours of the day, casting varied shadows onto what was there, injecting vivid colors the pale night expelled.

Kant once said, "Only two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe: The starry heavens above, and the moral law within."

You are that moral law, Can.

Can got up and left the farm and went back to his mansion, laying on his bed as the solar system kit Ozge gave him hang on the ceiling above. And Ozge went to bed, still looking out the star from her window.

***

"Can."

Can's thoughts were interrupted by Efe who looked at him with worry. They were in their office at Strawberry Place and it was already 12 PM in the afternoon.

"What?" Can asked.

Efe gave him a white envelope.

"What's this?"

"Ozge's resignation letter," Efe said. "I found it in my desk this morning."

Can accepted the envelope, staring at it as if Ozge's face was encrypted on it. Efe sighed and put a hand on his shoulder.

"You guys need to talk for real," Efe said. "It's unlike Ozge to just leave and break things off with you for no reason. That's not how Ozge is."

Can sighed and he suddenly felt like his chest was closing.

"I don't know anymore, Efe," Can said, then he coughed. "Anyway, I don't feel good today so I might go home in a few minutes."

"What's wrong, bro?" Efe asked.

"I feel like I might have a fever," Can said. "Probably from the rain last night. I'll be fine with a little rest. I'm going home."

"Alright, dude," Efe said. "Call me if you ever need something."

Can raised his eyebrows and took his wallet and phone and got out of the office.

A/N:

Hey y'all! I missed you! Things are only gonna get more interesting with Can and Ozge! Please vote and comment as much as you can!! :) I love you and see you in a few hours!! <3