Chapter Forty: Goodbye

Evren looked out the ocean as she sat on the bench, the wind blowing through her hair. She closed her eyes, feeling like she forgot something.

Then it hit her.

"OH MY GOSH," Evren said, taking out her phone once again. "I forgot to tell Ozge about Diletta and Mrs. Guldem!"

Evren hurriedly called Ozge's number, but there was no answer. She rang a few more times, each ring was left unattended.

"Why isn't Ozge answering?" Evren said, still trying to reach her.

***

Serkan arrived at the hospital, immediately running to the front desk as he asked for Hande's room and ran to the corridor. He found Hande's parents sitting on the couch, just outside her room.

"Mr. Iskander and Mrs. Yasar," Serkan said. "Where's Hande?"

"Serkan, it's nice to see you here," Mr. Iskander said, holding Serkan's shoulder. "She's inside. We didn't tell you about this because Hande specifically told us not to. You should go see her."

"Thank you, Mr. Iskander," Serkan said, then he went inside.

He found Hande asleep on the hospital bed with the dextrose bag hanging beside her. Serkan smiled as he sat down on the foot of her bed, Hande slowly waking up.

"Serkan?" Hande said, slowly opening her eyes.

"I'm here," Serkan smiled.

Hande scowled. "What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean, Hande?" Serkan said, his eyebrows furrowed. "You just had a heart attack and you're asking me what I'm doing here? Why didn't you tell me?"

Hande turned away from him as she looked outside, not saying anything. Serkan sighed, then she held her hands.

"Hande, please," Serkan said, looking at her intently.

"I didn't tell you because I don't want you to see me like this," Hande turned to him, tears welling up her eyes. "That I'm not the strong Hande that you used to know. I'm sick, Serkan. I'm sick."

Serkan smiled, tears forming in his eyes. He took her hands and kissed it, looking at her.

"You're my Hande, fragile or strong. And that will never, ever change," Serkan said, then he stood up and kissed her forehead. "I love you so much. I'm here, okay?"

"Okay," Hande said, her mouth slowly forming into a smile.

"Unless you want me to leave..."

Hande shook her head. "No. I don't want my Serkan to leave."

Serkan smiled and he kissed her hand again. Just then, Mr. Iskander went inside, his face a mixture of sadness and worry.

"Serkan, can I talk to you for a second?" he said.

"Of course, Mr. Iskander," Serkan said, getting up, then he turned to Hande. "I'll be back, my love."

Hande nodded, and Serkan and Iskander went outside.  Mr. Iskander looked out the window in the hall, staring at the buildings outside.

"I'm assuming you have a lot of questions, Serkan," Mr. Iskander said.

"Yes," Serkan said. "Why did she have a heart attack? From what I know, Hande is healthy---"

"She has a heart problem," Mr. Iskander said. "It's a congenital disorder. Yasar and I used to argue a lot when she was pregnant with Hande. I was a wreck. I was cheating with other women, I was drunk almost every night, but that all changed when Hande came. And my lovely wife, who I owe my life to, forgave me for everything."