Chapter Sixty-Seven: Problems

Serkan looked up the ceiling, throwing the basketball back and forth in the air as his thoughts drifted to Melisa.

It's been a month since his hospitalization and he was fully recovered now but there wasn't a day that went by that he didn't think about her. He could still remember her angel face looking at him as the wind blew through her hair, her soft brown eyes twinkling under the moonlight, her smooth skin in his as they sat down together on the bench, and her scent that made him wish he could buy a perfume like that.

But there was no perfume like it. It was just Melisa.

He felt guilty thinking about her all the while he was with Hande. He loved Hande, sure, but did he love Melisa too?

The damp air of Rome reminded Serkan of Istanbul. Istanbul. That's where Melisa is right now. He could call her and ask how she's doing, but it wouldn't be the same. He wanted to see her. Even if it was the last time. See her and decide for himself if he loved her. And if he did, what would he do?

No, no, he thought to himself. Questions for later, see Melisa first.

He picked up his coat and draped them over the dress shirt he was wearing and made a spontaneous decision.

"Antonia, tell the pilot to get the plane ready," Serkan said, putting on his Rolex.

"Certainly, Mr. Serkan. But where are you off to?"

"Istanbul."

***

Hande watched the waves slam themselves on their yacht, the scene, if it was another person looking at them, would be relaxing.

But Hande was far from relaxed. She was stressed, the dark circles under her eyes had been proof. Serkan had been different ever since his recovery. It was all the reason Hande called Ozge for a mini vacation. She needed to take her mind off things.

"Hande, what was it that you wanted to talk about?" Ozge asked as she sat opposite Hande, squinting her eyes under the strong Amalfi sun.

"Serkan's different," Hande said, then she took a sip of her coffee. "Ever since his recovery, he has been... distant from me. Maybe I did something wrong?"

"Did you ask him about it?" Ozge said, seemingly intrigued by this new information. Last time she heard, Serkan was confessing his love for Hande while he was on the edge of death.

Hande shook her head. "I guess I'm scared of his answer. I can't help but think he's in love with someone else."

"Are you suspecting anyone?"

"He was with Melisa for a while, hasn't he?" Hande said, then she looked down. "It's my fault. If I hadn't forgotten about him... If only my memory..."

"Hande, stop," Ozge said, putting a hand over Hande's. "Losing your memories was out of your control. I know cause I've been there. None of it was your fault."

"But I was the one who allowed my parents to take me to the United States," Hande said, tears welling up her eyes. "If I hadn't made that decision-"

"Then what? You would have died," Ozge said. "Hande, everything that happened was out of your control. You made the right choice and Serkan made his. It's just... messy. But that doesn't mean it's wrong."

"I may gain forgiveness from Serkan, but that doesn't mean I could escape the consequences," Hande said, giving Ozge a weak smile.

Ozge hugged her, as she stared at the ocean, remembering the wave of problem that lurked beneath them.

Yaren.