Chapter Fifty-Four: Ozge's Choice

"The strawberry farm was the best!"

Melisa exclaimed as she and Serkan walked their way towards the garden, the only thing separating Serkan's mansion and the guest house where Melisa stays. They were each holding a basket of strawberries, as they were on their way to the outdoor kitchen that was in the garden.

"What do you wanna eat tonight?" Serkan grinned putting the basket down. "We can just tell my Chef, Selim, whatever dish you want."

"Huh," Melisa said then she turned to Serkan. "Why don't I cook tonight? I mean, I always cook for my family back in Istanbul, and I do a lot of Italian dishes too."

"Really?" Serkan smiled. "Well then, Chef Melisa, what shall we have for dinner tonight?"

"I make a mean Rigatoni Alla Carbonara," Melisa said, leaning closer. "That not even the Cayoglu Group's chain of restaurants can beat."

"Is that so?" Serkan grinned.

"Yup," Melisa said, pulling away. "And you, Mr. Serkan, will be my assistant chef for tonight."

"Serkan chuckled, his eyes twinkling. "Alright, Miss Melisa."

***

"Devrim?"

Evren said as she came out of the shower after changing her clothes. She found Devrim on the sofa, sleeping. She smiled as she sat on the floor beside him, running her hands through his hair.

"Thank you," Evren whispered. "For being here with me today. I don't think I could ever get through this dangerous day without you, Devrim. You know, after all these years, there was not a day I didn't think of you. I know, crazy, right? I was the one who broke up with you. But I still love you, Devrim. I will always love you. That will never ever change."

Just then, Devrim slowly opened his eyes, and looked directly at Evren.

"If you really loved me, you shouldn't have left me," he whispered, sitting up.

"If you really loved me, you would understand," Evren said.

"Understand? What was there to understand, Evren?" Devrim said, getting angry. "You left me because I was nothing more than another problem to you. Because your mother was my uncle's wife, and you couldn't stand the thought of me being related to the two people who ruined your life!"

"And if you were in my place, Devrim?! Huh?" Evren said, her voice rising. "If you saw your mother who left you when you were just a kid, who caused your father to be depressed, that everyday you see in your father's eyes he was losing himself, already married and was having the best time of her life with her new husband and family?! WHAT WOULD YOU FEEL, HUH?! TELL ME!"

Devrim's chest heaved as he stared at Evren, not knowing what to say. In a way she was right. They were both right. And Evren was just a victim of her mother's mistakes.

"I left you not because I don't love you!" Evren said as tears streamed down her face. "I left you because I was scared I would hurt you because of my pain! Because I was broken! Because I was hurt! And you don't deserve a broken girl, Devrim."

"I think I can judge for myself who's good for me, Evren."

"What do you mean?"

Devrim leaned closer and gently cupped Evren's face, his soft lips on hers. It was a soft kiss, not demanding but more inquisitive. Evren kissed him back, lingering.

"But Devrim, you're---"

"My engagement with Sevim is just for business," he said, leaning his forehead against hers. "I never loved her. And the hotel is for our company's merger. Our relationship isn't real. I love you, Evren. And I feel like the last five years never even existed. My life is just beginning. Right now. With you."