Chapter Fifty: Bitter

"Ozge?"

Timoteo walked up to them as he turned his gaze over to Giancarlo. Giancarlo looked at both of them with no expression.

"What's going on here?" Timoteo asked.

"Giancarlo and I were just talking about the building, my love," Ozge said as Timoteo kissed her in the cheek.

Timoteo grinned. "Have you convinced him not to destroy this place?"

"It's been a long night, Timoteo," Giancarlo said, giving them a polite smile. "I'm going home now. Good night."

"Good night, Mr. Giancarlo," Timoteo said, and Giancarlo walked away.

Ozge let go of Timoteo's hand and ran after Giancarlo, hoping she could catch him before he leaves the building. Ozge made her way to the stairs, running up to him.

"Can, Can, wait," Ozge said, and Giancarlo stopped and turned to her.

"Giancarlo Milani," Giancarlo said, correcting her. "That's what people call me now. Only my friends call me 'Can'."

Ozge nodded slowly. "Signor Giancarlo, will you please listen to what I have to say?"

Giancarlo stared at her, waiting for her to speak.

"I just want to talk about Strawberry Place," Ozge said. "It's not just me or the building that will be affected, but so many people and employees. As you can see this is a huge building, and while the restaurant is downstairs, there are rooms on the other floors that I gave for free for the employees who have no place to stay. So that's why I just wanted to---"

"What? What do you want?" Giancarlo said, cutting her off.

"Please don't destroy this building," Ozge said. "And please don't destroy the livelihood and homes of the people benefitting from it. Please, Can. I mean... please, Signore."

"We have invested so much in the business that's going to be built in this place," Giancarlo said. "If I do what you ask me to, I will lose millions of dollars. So the answer is, 'no.'"

Giancarlo arrived at the ground floor and went out of the building as Ozge caught up to him once again.

"Signore, wait! Please hear me out even for a moment!" Ozge said, her eyebrows furrowed with worry. "Just for a minute. Please have a heart for---"

"Have a heart!" Giancarlo chuckled, turning back to Ozge. "If there's one thing that I learned these past few years, Miss Gurel, I have learned to accept that you can't have it all. It really is painful to fight for something and not win it, but that is life, Miss Gurel. So the answer is still, 'no.'"

Giancarlo got inside his car, turned the engine on and drove away. Ozge watched him leave, her heart heavier than it was hours ago.

***

"It's beautiful up here."

Serkan said as he rested his arms on the railing, closing his eyes as the wind blew. Hande stood next to him, her gaze onto the horizon.

"You know, I haven't even brought Kerem up here yet," Hande said, then she turned to Serkan. "You are the first guest to Casa Ercel, Mr. Serkan."

Serkan chuckled. "I'm honored."

Hande stared at him for a moment.

"What?" Serkan asked.

"I don't know, I feel like I've seen you somewhere," Hande said. "I feel like we've met before. Like you're a longtime friend or something. I must sound crazy to you."