Chapter Thirty-Three: Italy

"Yildirim, we're on our way," Can said, then he hung up.

He immediately stood up.

"Where are you going?" Serkan said.

"My lawyer, Yildirim, just found who the killer is and the evidence for Demet's death. It seems we have evidence against Diletta now," Can said. "Let's go."

Serkan grabbed his coat and followed behind Can as they paid for their food and hurried out the building.

***

Ozge sat on her couch in the balcony, looking through her laptop for culinary schools in Italy. She has always been fascinated with the country and she loves cooking Italian food. Maybe she could go there to study culinary and even open a restaurant there. She imagines staying there for good. Now that she doesn't have any reason to stay in Istanbul, maybe Rome will be good for her. She had already been planning to study culinary in Rome anyway, before she met Can.

She clicked on a website called, 'Italian Chef Academy.' She looked through their courses, and liked what she saw. There were different courses and they welcomed students from around the world. Ozge was about to click the 'Apply' button when she remembered Can.

"Polo wasn't the only thing my dad taught me," Can said, leaning closer. "He said, if you love something and you can't live without it, fight for it. Do anything for it. In the end, you'll get your prize."

"Am I your prize?" Ozge smiled, raising an eyebrow.

"You're my everything, Ozge," Can said.

Ozge sighed and rested her palm on her cheek.

"Can you live without me, Can?" Ozge muttered under her breath, as if scared Can would hear her.

She clicked the 'Apply' button, wrote down her details, and signed up.

***

Evren walked the streets of downtown Istanbul, her heart heavy and her eyes puffy from crying. The lights from the neon signs were beautiful but Evren could not feel anything. She felt numb. Numb from what just happened earlier.

Evren stood up as she watched her mother leave the meeting room in Diletta's office and ran after her.

"Mom!"

Her mom turned to her with disgust in her face.

"Can you stop following me?!" she exclaimed and it shocked Evren.

Evren's tears welled up her eyes as she looked at her mom intently.

"Mom, you've been gone for all these years, I've been looking everywhere for you," Evren said and the tears fell from her eyes. "All this time, you were here. And that's all you're gonna say?"

Evren's mom looked at Evren like she was about to cry herself.

"Evren, I'm Zehra Birkan now. My life is completely different from what it was before. Mucahit Birkan and I fell in love and we got married and now we have three children. He's a billionaire and Diletta's business partner," Zehra said, wiping the tear that fell down her cheek. "Forget about me, Evren. I'm not the mother that you used to know."

Zehra ran down the stairs leaving Evren in the thirteenth floor. She felt like her world fell apart. She wished she hadn't come to work today. If only she called in sick. If only... if only...

Evren stopped in her tracks and realized she was in front of Devrim's house. Tired from walking, she sat down on their front porch and rested her head on the railing. Devrim noticed a figure in their front porch and turned the lights on, only to find Evren sitting on the stairs.

"Evren? Are you okay?" Devrim said, sitting down next to her.

Evren looked at Devrim with puffy eyes and shook her head.

"Devrim, I saw Mom earlier today. Did you know that she's Diletta's business partner? What are the odds, right? All this time she was in Yaman Holdings," Evren said. "And you know what's funny? I talked to her. After so many years, Devrim, I finally talked to her. And she tells me her life is completely different now, how her life is so much better now, and she wasn't the mother that I used to know and that I should forget about her. Devrim, did I have to wait all these years just to hear that from her?"

Devrim put her hand around Evren and held her closer.

"If I could take your pain, Evren, I would," Devrim muttered.

Evren hugged him and cried, feeling comfort in his arms.

***

Can and Serkan ran to the nurses' station and immediately asked for Yildirim.

"Yildirim Iscan, I'm his friend. Which room?" Can said.

"Room 504," the nurse said.

Can and Serkan quickly walked to the elevator and pushed the fifth floor button. They both sighed, exhausted from running.

"Serkan," Can said. "Did Diletta really kill Demet? How did you know?"

Serkan nodded. "She told me herself. She trusts me, Can. You know how close the three of us were when we were kids."

Can exhaled sharply. "I've always known Diletta wasn't nice, but not like this. Not like this."

"If Yildirim really has the documents that will prove Diletta is guilty and will prove Ozge's innocence, then we'll win the case, Can."

"Yes, we will," Can said.

The elevator doors opened and they stepped out into the fifth floor.

"Our engagement party is tomorrow," Can told Serkan. "What do you think I should do? Break it off now or wait till tomorrow?"

"Wait till tomorrow, Can. We don't know how cunning Diletta is. She might act quickly if you break it now. We have to talk to Yildirim first," Serkan said, and they both went inside Room 504.

They found Yildirim in his phone and he looked up when he saw Can and Serkan approaching him.

"Yildirim, what happened?" Can said, sitting by the window.

"Mr. Can, I was jumped by a group of men outside my hotel room," Yildirim started to say. "I figured they were Diletta's men. I was smart enough to notify the police her men might come and try to kill me and they came at just the right time. I'm sure you don't understand why I just said it's Miss Diletta's men, but you'll understand, Mr. Can, when you read this."

Yildirim gave Can the documents containing the evidence of how Diletta killed Demet including how Ozge was there in the scene of the crime that night. Can and Serkan read it, almost not believing what they were reading.

"Yildirim, is this all? Are all the evidence in here?" Can said, waving the document.

"Yes, Mr. Can, everything you need is there," Yildirim said. "All we have to do is take it to court. And we'll bring the truth out and Diletta will be imprisoned."

"Can, will you do it tomorrow? Confront Diletta, I mean," Serkan said.

"Yes. And I'll make sure Mom hears it as well," Can said.

***

Ozge put the last piece of strawberry on top of the cake she just baked when her phone beeped. She took it and found that she got a response from Italian Chef Academy.

Good day, Miss Ozge Gurel! We see you have applied for a slot in one of our courses and due to the fact that we will be starting classes in 2 weeks, we have given you the last slot for the course and we are inviting you to come to Rome as early as next week! Will you continue your application?

Ozge grinned as she saw she had been accepted. She immediately clicked the 'Reply' button and wrote,

Yes, I will continue. See you next week.

A/N:

Uh... are you as excited for the upcoming chapters as I am????? I'm so excited lol! Please comment and vote on this chapter as much as you can, loves! I love you and see you in a few hours <3