Chapter One

P H A N T O M B L O O D

"My heart, my heart."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The year is 1880. Queen Victoria is still the reigning monarch of the British Empire and according to the gregorian calendar, it is once again a leap year. Times are changing, however. Literally speaking Greenwich Mean Time is adopted as the standard throughout Britain.

More specifically it was no longer time for the young gardener of the Joestar estate to be sleeping.

Rays of sunlight filter through the window the same way they did every morning and it woke an annoyed and tired (H/C) gardener as it always did. Not without protest from said gardener.

Alas, when you try to adjust your pillow to cover your eyes and hopefully block out the silly sun, you ended up falling out of your hammock.

The floor of the garden shed was hard and cold but the impact was more of a wake-up call than the cause of any serious injuries. Still, you groan and think about heading over to the manor and stowing away in one of the servant quarter's spare beds, snoozing away without interruption in the windowless room.

'No I can't sleep inside today, the boy Lord Joestar adopted is arriving today and I'll be in all the house staff's way if I do...'

You sigh and settle on just trying to sleep in the shed despite the harsh sunlight... but then it hits you.

'The boy Lord Joestar adopted is arriving today!'

Suddenly in a rush to get presentable you scramble off the floor and over to the recently cleaned and ironed uniform hung up awkwardly on the drying rack usually used for flowers but they had all been moved to the windowsill for the special occasion.

You were ready to go soon after. The plain white dress shirt and high-waisted brown trousers gardener's were expected to wear looked nicer than usual and you even decided to throw on your nicest pair of (F/C) wellington boots. Styling your hair extra fancily, you grin at your reflection in the shed's small mirror.

'Looking right good, I'd say.'

For a young gardener, you were keen to look your best and impress daily which usually just meant wearing an inherited pair of dangly earrings but today you decided to wear the only earrings you'd ever been able to buy for yourself, a set of simple gold hoops that brought out all the mirth in your features.

Smiling at your reflection once more, you head out of the shed, stepping across the sprawling garden and down the subtle steps leading inside the lower floors of the Joestar manor.

The kitchens, laundry rooms and servants quarters were downstairs, per the usual victorian mansion layout. Anything that would distract the rich from their lavish lifestyles kept beneath them, not that the Joestars were like that.

You smoothly slink into the largest kitchen, everyone inside so busy preparing a grand meal for the newly adopted boy's arrival that they didn't notice yours. The hustle and bustle and heat of the room hid you as you walked through it and you subtly grab an apple off of an ingredients tray before picking up the biological son's breakfast ready for delivery.

"Morning, (Y/N)." One of the older maids, Cicely, said in a cheery tone grabbing the back of your shirt before you could run off, "I know today's technically your day off but since it's a special occasion-"

You gulp knowing her, you'd probably be forced to help clean the mansion until it sparkled for its future inhabitant. You stand and listen to her glumly until you notice two other servants had to come through with a large plate full of food, allowing you to slip away and out of the kitchen.