Chapter Eleven

P H A N T O M B L O O D

"Amateurs can fucking suck it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3rd of November 1888

"Father, how are you feeling today?" Dio asks as he and Jojo stand next to the sickly lord's bed.

The fire in the room crackles as a certain gardener feeds it more wood. With it being winter and all, the flames were the only thing keeping the room warm for the poor lord.

Speaking of, the moustached man coughs heavily, "But for this cough, much improved over yesterday. The doctors say I should be in the hospital."

"Why? I fear it would do you no good," Dio pauses slightly, allowing Jojo to turn to him and gasp, "Hospitals only care about profit. They'd measure you for a shroud ere they saw you cured."

Pft, like Lord Joestar, couldn't afford to splurge on getting cured by greedy medical professionals trying to scam him. A hospital would be fine.

'Actually... Germs were discovered what? 27 years ago? Goodness, only seven years older than myself. Maybe some unhygienic hospital wouldn't be the best then,' You thought from the corner. Though Lord Joestar would only get the best care in a hospital wouldn't he? There'd be no worry about a lord having mushrooms growing in his hospital bed. Surely then there was no reason for him not to go. What was Dio plotting?

"Hm, then here I shall remain. The comforts of home are curative, likest not." The weary lord pauses to cough again and you quickly rush over to him with a glass of water. A vague attempt at getting a pay rise, "My chest doesn't pain me so and the swelling has gone down. I'm on the mend."

Once again the lord coughs and he accepts the water before turning back to his sons much happier, "I heard tell of your victory, stunning bit of teamwork."

Both Jonathan and Dio seem completely shocked and you can't believe that they had both earned degrees.

"Someone told you about it?" Jojo gasps.

'I am literally standing right here. I spoke to you at the game and before I came back here, after the game.' You blink.

"I got word straight away from an old colleague chum." Lord Joestar winks and smiles at his shocked sons.

Oh great, you'd remain an anonymous tip-off for a laugh. What joy.

Rich people humour.

"Well whoever he is, he's fast. I'm glad he wasn't on our opponent's team or we could've lost," Dio jokes and you lose some brain cells. Though if you had been on the other team you would've definitely won the game, not to brag or anything.

All three of the idiot nobles laugh, Dio leaning forward to chuckle and Jonathan leaning back. Always gotta polarise each other, huh. Though you're not too frustrated at the weird third party perspective of being joked about at this point. In fact, you have to look towards a vase to avoid laughing at how cute the two younger aristocrats were.

There were actually a lot of flowers in the room, from bunches of sweet-smelling and flowering herbs to newer, brighter flowers now that he seemed to be getting better.

You noted a few particular combinations in the vases you stared at, chamomille, sage, heather and thrift. Elder, fennel, feverfew and mullein. Hell, even snowdrops and purple cornflowers.

All for the encouragement of healing. Or a raise.

"I'm proud of you lads. You both turned out so well, providence is too kind," George says, "Dio, I'm so glad you've thrived. Pursue your ambitions-whatever they may be. I will lend you aid whatever way I can, my son."