Chapter Twenty One

P H A N T O M   B L O O D

"Oh, I may weep forevermore, my love will never die."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You lean against a long-dead tree, leaving a single patch of forget-me-nots as a marker for your friends. You hope they see it. The only living thing growing anywhere near the castle you're about to enter.

Let me be very clear, the architectural design of Dio's castle is insane. On one side is a series of towers that look like stairs and on the other is a series of stairs leading to a tower. Who thinks like that?

What long-dead king or queen wanted people to have to walk all the way up a hill and then have to climb up one of the multiple towers? Who let them do that to all their guests?

Never mind, it's probably to keep invaders at bay or something. Very effective considering you can't even find the front door.

But we're not gonna talk about how ridiculously lost you get in the ridiculously designed, zombie-filled castle. Instead, let's focus on Dio.

What's sort of fun shenanigans is he up to?

"Oh please sir, I beg you. Please don't bring no harm to my child, let him be," A woman begs, cradling her baby son from her crouched position on the red checkered floor of Dio's lovely new home.

The vampire in question crushes a metal crucifix, scaring the poor lady who clutches her child even closer.

"Hm, do I comprehend you? Let us clarify what you desire," Dio calmly puts down the broken crucifix and picks up a not quite blooming red rose, "Voluntarily you will give yourself to us on the condition that we not touch your child?"

He tauntingly waves the rose, "Is that accurate?"

The crying lady looks about at all the menacing zombies standing on the ceiling. Glowing red eyes stare down at her like crows lurking about a dying sheep. Was this hell staring down at her? Was this odd, inhuman man meant to be some kind of god?

"Yes," She finally says, hugging the baby with a tragic finality, "Only don't hurt my boy."

"You move me to tears," Dio says softly like the bad liar, the bad guy he is. He stands up from his chair by the fire, "Agreed, you shall have your wish. I hereby swear that neither I nor any of my servants will bring harm to your child."

"That said, you need to be aware of one thing. All my minions without exception willingly gave up their souls for me," Dio continues, lowering the rose away from the woman, "I truly think it would work out far better if both of you were to join me."

"There would be no more worries. You would both be part of a new and greater family," Dio starts approaching the woman, looming over her. This was it for her, huh?

"Remember you promised- you promised not to hurt my child!" She cries desperately, looking up at the vampire and the zombies watching, "Me for him."

"So be it then," Dio drains the woman of all her blood, turning her into a zombie, before walking over to his vase and grabbing another rose. Leaving the zombie and the crying baby behind him.

"Sweet little child!" The zombie coos hoarsely, growling and opening her mouth wide to eat her son.

"As promised we've not harmed the child, that's something you've taken care of on your own," The smug blonde vampire dramatically turns to look at the scarlet coloured flower in his hand, "The irony is lost on you. A pity."

Only Dio doesn't hear the sound of the baby going silent or the sound of a zombie tearing into flesh. Instead, he heard a loud thud, a squish and some panting. The baby even giggles slightly, ignorant brat.