Chapter Twenty Two

P H A N T O M   B L O O D

"Fool me once, fool me twice. Is this          death or paradise?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Consider this, dear," Dio says to the frightened girl, holding up a rose, "Examine this rose, in bloom for but a moment. Vibrant, fresh and young. What you see is a mirror of your youth."

"Consider this fact carefully mademoiselle, from the moment this flower fully blooms it begins to wither. A shame don't you think?" Dio continues in a purring voice that makes you adjust on his chest because of the vibrations.

His voice is so loud.

It echoes in your ears like a scream in a quiet cathedral. It drives out the noises of the human though and that's good. You don't like how hungry the sound of her beating heart makes you or the way her quiet breathes call out to you the same way the sound of food sizzling in the Joestar's kitchen did.

Dio's voice has always been nice but now it's a sensory overload.

It must be a vampire thing- eventually, you'll get used to it. You have a lot of time to get used to it.

Your scarlet gaze flicks from the frightened girl back to Dio. Is he going to turn her into a zombie? Or even better yet- would you be feeding your new vampiric itch for blood? Yes, it would be incredible if you could eat the girl-

No, no- you don't actually want to eat the girl... Do you?

Of course not! It's this stupid vampirism that's consuming you. Dammit if only you were paying closer attention to what Dio was suggesting- how could you have thought it was a good idea to become a vampire, even for a minute?

If you weren't so distracted by Jojo's dea-

"Only sixteen! So sweet, so innocent and pure now! So full of delicious life energy! Wonderful, Lord Dio!" One of the zombie animal creatures also resting on Dio exclaims, panting and laughing and stretching out its tongue all at once. It's a slobbering, sickening sight and you cringe, a lot less hungry. Yep, couldn't be you.

Dio tuts and you take this as a sign to flick the odd mix-matched petting zoo creature into a nearby wall. It's killed instantly with the otherworldly strength you've yet to adapt to.

The thrill of killing is also something very new. You aren't sure if you like it.

You look at the sharp claws on your fingers, sprinkled in a scattering of undead blood you can't consume before looking back at Dio. Thinking about the power you now hold is exciting. You do like the thrill.

Dio's expression doesn't change from one of disgust as he stares at the dead creature's corpse now sliding down the wall like a very tragic mashed potato, though he does take the hand you used to flick the zombie in his and lay a soft kiss on the cold skin, "Those lacking in manners are not fit to exist."

God, he's hot.

Looking at Dio with incredible vampire vision is like seeing a flower bloom for the first time. How did you live before today? How could you look at anything ever again and consider it beautiful when Dio existed? Such a thing would be wrong.

His face has always been a sculpted checklist of every beauty standard you could think of- dark brows, thick lashes, full lips. If it's considered attractive, you'll find it's his. Golly, could you even see before today? He was always hot but now he's like someone decided to reincarnate Narcissus and put him underneath you in a platonic way. Especially with his cute little evil smile.

No, wait, what will Jojo look like with the new vampire vision? If Dio is Narcissus then Jojo is surely Adonis or Apollo or Eros or- Nevermind.

Jojo's dead.