Chapter 35

When Remus finally told Maddy, he was bombarded with her questions and statements so much that he had to remind her about her side of the bargain. Remus was somewhat happy for Maddy's enthusiasm, a little relieved she didn't take it badly. But at the same time, he knew Maddy, so he was certain she would make some snarky comment every time he was near Tonks which he wasn't looking forward to.

They spend almost an hour talking, signing, and eating chocolate. Remus had to go on an Order mission after, and Maddy signed with a smirk, Is Tonks going to be there?

Remus rolled his eyes, but didn't respond. "See you tomorrow." he said, walking over and giving her a kiss on the forehead before leaving. Maddy sat alone for a minute before leaving the room herself to find someone to talk to, or something for her to do.

Maddy went to her and Darienne's room and found Simon and Darienne, one of Simon's books on Potions open between them, Simon saying and signing the context of the book to his sister. Darienne noticed her first, as she was facing the door, and gave her a small wave, which Maddy reciprocated. Simon turned when he saw Darienne and said, "We're just reading about Potions, but I reckon you don't wanna join."

I don't. Maddy signed. I'll just grab a book of my own, and leave you to your Potions. She went to her own bag, and dug around for a book. She found a wizarding novel — something she never really read, usually resorting to wizarding textbooks or muggle novels — but decided to read it anyway. She waved goodbye before rushing out of the room.

She ran into Ginny, who was sitting in a quiet hallway reading through a Quidditch magazine. Maddy sat across from her criss cross and dropped her book on her lap, before opening it to the first page and starting to read. Ginny said a quick hello before returning to her magazine.

After a little while, Maddy bookmarked at her book, and put it down, and tapped Ginny's shoulder.

"Angelina gave it to me when I joined the team," Ginny said, "It's mainly about Seekers, but there's a thing or two on Beaters." She flipped to the index before finding the page and passing it to Maddy. "I wanted to be a Chaser, but there wasn't a spot for it. I'll try next year when Harry's back as Seeker."

All we need to do is get Toad fired.

Ginny twirled a strand of hair around her finger, "How do we even get a teacher fired?"

Maddy shrugged. Make her life a living hell?

"And not getting ourselves expelled?" Ginny said quietly, "Or getting ourselves kicked off the team."

Maddy glanced over the page open on her lap. When I come up with an idea, I'll tell you.

Ginny nodded slowly, "Let's hope Professor Umbridge is gone sooner rather than later."

That's all I want.

Ginny and Maddy started talking Quidditch strategy for a while, until Harry came strolling down the hallway.

"There you are," Harry said quickly, "Mrs. Weasley says she wants us in our rooms."

Ginny thanked Harry before standing up, grabbing Maddy's hand and pulling her up. Maddy signed a quick good night to Ginny, which Ginny said back, before she grabbed her book and skipped down the corridor to her room.

■□~□■

Getting into the Christmas spirit was very easy at 12 Grimmauld Place. The house was bustling with life and energy, that the days leading up to Christmas were some of the best Maddy could remember. Sirius sang "God Rest Ye Merry Hippogriffs" at the top of his lungs, sometimes making Maddy or Harry dance with him when he felt like it, which neither complained about. Hermione (who had arrived the day after Maddy and Simon), Simon, and Darienne explained a few muggle Christmas traditions they knew. Maddy wasn't sure whether to be amused or not about all the house elves' severed heads wearing Father Christmas hats.