Chapter 10

If Maddy's vocal cords had the capacity to scream, her shrieks would have rivaled that of Walburga Black. Since she couldn't, she just stared in pure horror.

On her bed, where her precious leather jacket had been placed, was a rather hideous neon orange jumper, folded just as she had left her jacket.

It didn't take Hermione to realise what had happened. Maddy picked up the sweater with the tips of her fingers, as if it were contaminated and tied it around her waist, and bolted down the hallway.

"Maddy?" Remus stopped her in her path, glancing curiously at her. "What are you doing?"

Looking for Fred. Have you seen him?

"I haven't — er, Maddy?" His eyes fell to the orange jumper tied around her waist. "Where did you get that?"

Maddy looked down, momentarily forgetting why she was running, before looking up, livid. Prank war. Fred and I against George and Simon. They swapped this for my leather jacket.

"Oh, really? Have you pranked them yet?"

We were planning to do it when we ate. We've been cleaning all day. Speaking of which — She narrowed her eyes. Where were you today?

Remus's cheeks tinted pink, to Maddy's surprise. "It doesn't really matter, Maddy."

You know, Dad, Uncle Padfoot said something very curious earlier.

Remus's eyes widened slightly, but otherwise he seemed unaffected. "What did he say?"

Well, he was going on about how he wished he could have shut a curtain on his mother when he was young. And I said that I thought that my situation without a mother was better than his with an awful mother, but that I didn't know what it was like with a mother.

Remus looked guilty, but Maddy gave him a reassuring smile.

It's alright. Back to the story, anyway, Uncle Padfoot then said 'You might know soon'. I don't think he intended for me to hear, he kind of said it in a cough. I have good hearing, though.

Remus looked horrified, "What happened after that."

I asked him what he meant, and he just smirked and walked away. Now, Dad. She gave him an intense look, I'm eleven, not two. I'm only half a dimwit.

"You aren't dimwitted, Maddy,' replied Remus.

I kind of am. I don't take anything seriously. She smirked at the last word.

"Neither did James or Sirius, and they still got outstanding grades. That doesn't make you a dimwit."

Maddy shrugged. I said I'm only half a dimwit. She reiterated. I know you went somewhere, with someone, as a date.

Remus decided to play innocent. "Did I?"

Don't play dimwit with me, Dad.

"What if I did?"

Maddy thought for a moment. I'd be happy that you found someone. She fiddled quickly with the sleeves of her jumper before adding, I'd hurt him or her if they hurt you, though.

Remus chuckled, "It's a her," he said quietly.

Maddy's eyes widened, and she gave him a face splitting grin. So you did go on a date?

Remus's cheeks darkened to a Weasley red. "Not exactly," he mumbled, not meeting Maddy's eyes.

Maddy chuckled, But you wanted it to be! Her signs seemed almost sing-songy, and she bounced in her place.