Chapter 21

I have detention with Professor Snivellus today! Maddy cursed halfway through dinner, standing up abruptly, adjusting the wraps on her hands, and checking her wand in the pocket of her jacket.

Simon rolled his eyes, "I can't believe you already got detention."

I'm special like that.

"I know. I'll be in the Common Room, starting my homework."

Okay.

She looked up to see Snape exiting the hall, and bolted after him, catching up with him about halfway towards the dungeon.

Maddy waved at him, and began to skip beside him, the soul intention to annoy him.

"Are you following me for your detention, Lupin?" Snape asked in a low drawl, his dark eyes locking with Maddy's green ones.

Maddy nodded, and continued to skip merrily down the hall.

"Are you always this energetic?" said Snape, looking ahead.

Instead of answering, Maddy jumped to a stop, before flashing Snape a smile, and doing a cartwheel down the hall.

Snape chose wisely to ignore her. He didn't utter another word until they reached his classroom. Maddy walked inside, and sat at her desk.

"Normally, I'd have students sort through my potion ingredients for detention," his eyes narrowed, "but seeing as I don't trust you with my ingredients, you'll be writing lines."

Maddy visibly flinched, remembering Umbridge's quill.

"Is there something wrong?"

Snape asked, as he placed a piece of parchment, a quill, and an inkpad in front of her.

Maddy shook her head.

"I must not call my teacher a rude name."

Maddy warily dipped the quill in the ink pad, before writing the sentence the first time with a sigh.

She looked to see Snape nodding his approval, "Fifty times should do it

She looked to see Snape nodding his approval, "Fifty times should do it."

Maddy looked down, and trudged along writing her sentence. At twenty‐five, she switched to her left hand, and continued from there.

She put down the quill when she finished. Her wrap on both hands were ink-covered, worse on her left, and the white fabric had splotches across the side. Maddy ripped a small piece and wrote a question on it. She banged the table, and Snaped turned, and saw her hand extended.

He took the parchment, and read it, and looked at the girl, who gave him her best attempt at an innocent smile. Snape waved his wand, and the wraps on Maddy's hands transfigured themselves into leather fingerless gloves.

Maddy stretched her fingers out, signed a quick Thank you, before standing up.

She handed her lines to Snape, who snatched them, and said, "You're dismissed," silently.