Chapter 13

Maddy turned around to face Mrs. Weasley, stowing her wand in her pocket, her lips pursed together. Are you alright?

Mrs. Weasley let out a loud sob, her hands in her face.

I'll take that as a no. Maddy signed to herself, before hesitantly stepping towards the sobbing figure.

"What's going on?"

Her father came crashing into the room, followed by Sirius. Moody was stumping along behind them.

"Boggart," explained Harry. "Turned into the corpses of the Weasley family and myself. Mrs. Weasley couldn't banish it."

"Molly," whispered Remus, as he went over to comfort her. "Molly, it was just a boggart. Just a stupid boggart."

"If Molly didn't banish it, then who did?" Moody turned towards Harry, "Don't tell me you did magic, boy."

Harry lifted his hands defensively. "I didn't — I didn't!" He shot Maddy a quick glance. "Maddy did."

Remus looked up from where he was soothing Mrs. Weasley. "Mad — Maddy what?"

I made the boggart disappear! Maddy jumped in place with excitement, her legs reaching where her hips usually were. I did it! She stopped and looked at Mrs. Weasley, who was blowing her nose in a handkerchief Remus had handed her. Mrs. Weasley?

"Harry, Maddy, I'm so sorry, what must you think of me?" Her voice was shaking. "Not even able to get rid of a boggart.... Even Maddy can...."

"Don't be silly," Harry attempted a smile.

And don't bring me into this. Everyone has their talents. You can cook and do potions, and I can banish boggarts. It isn't about being weak. Are you weak for not being able to conquer your fears? Of course not! Am I weak for not being able to put something in a cauldron, and not have it blow up? She chuckled quietly. I don't think so.

"I'm just s-s-so worried," she spluttered. "Half if the f-f-family's in the Order, it'll be a miracle if we all come through this.... and P-P-Percy's not talking to us.... What if something d-d-dreadful happens and we never m-m-made up? And what's going to happen if Arthur and I get killed, who's g-g-going to look after Ron and Ginny?"

"Molly, that's enough," stated Remus, his voice firm. "This isn't like last time. The Order is better prepared, we've got a head start, we know what Voldemort's up to —"

Mrs. Weasley made a startled sound at his name.

"Oh, Molly, come on, it's about time you got used to hearing it — look, I can't promise no one's going to get hurt, nobody can promise that, but we're much better off than we were last time, you weren't in the Order then, you don't understand, last time we were outnumbered twenty to one by the Death Eaters and they were picking us off one by one...." Maddy noted how her father's voice faltered.

"Don't worry about Percy," cut in Sirius. "He'll come around. It's a matter of time before Voldemort moves into the open; once he does, the whole Ministry's going to be begging us to forgive them. And I'm not sure I'll be accepting their apology."

"And as for who's going to look after Ron and Ginny if you and Arthur died," Remus gave a small smile, "what do you think we'd do, let them starve? I know that if anything happens to me, Maddy'll be in good hands."

Mrs. Weasley gave a half attempt at a smile. "Being silly."

Dad? Maddy asked as everyone in the room was filing out. When he hadn't seen her sign, she tugged at the sleeve of his sweatshirt.