Chapter 16

"Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices," Dumbledore began. "First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students — and a few of our older students ought to know by now too." Maddy caught George's eye, who just smirked, confirming her suspicions.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door."

"Like Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses?" whispered Allie, causing Simon to chuckle.

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Maddy didn't clap, instead she signed: I'd be delighted if she got fired, to herself.

"Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the —"

Maddy looked up to see why he had cut off. Umbridge was standing by her seat (not that it was much of a height difference; Maddy was almost certain she was taller than the toad-like woman.) She cleared her throat in a way that made it clear she wanted to speak.

Oh, Merlin's Beard. I don't want her to speak. Maddy told Simon, who just gave her a sympathetic glance.

Dumbledore sat down, and seemed unfazed, to Maddy's surprise.

"Thank you, Headmaster," said Professor Umbridge, "for those kind words of welcome."

Despite knowing the woman, Maddy had yet to hear the woman speak. From her looks, Maddy had been expecting a croak, or a lower sound. What she got was closely resembling that of an opera singer.

Her voice would be higher than mine!

Fred frowned, and whispered, "But you don't have a —"

Hypothetical Fred.

"I didn't know she was the Little Mermaid," muttered Simon, and Allie gave him a toothy grin.

"Well, it's lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!"

Leave. We don't want you here.

"And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

I'll show you a happy little face.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"

On the contrary, I think we won't. Anyone who discriminates against my dad is dead in my book.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards...."

Maddy leaned her head on Fred's shoulder, and closed her eyes, tuning out Umbridge's speech. She wasn't the only one. Simon had slipped Maddy's bag over to him, and pulled out his brand-new potions textbook, which he had asked Maddy to hold just in case he had wanted to read on the train, and was immediately engrossed in it.

Allie had taken out her wand, and was fiddling it between her fingers. At the Hufflepuff table, Sam and Rose were chatting away. Despite it being their first night there, they had all got the impression listening to this woman would do more harm than good.

Maddy woke up with a start when Fred moved his arm and whispered, "Speech is long over, Maddy. Dumbledore just dismissed us."

Maddy yawned, and rubbed her eyes. Did anyone actually listen to her?