Chapter 6

So you're dad got expelled from Hogwarts? That would explain why you didn't know about magic. Though, it doesn't explain why they, you know, with a cauldron explosion. Maddy signed, walking slowly towards the Magical Menagerie. Neither Maddy or Simon were getting pets, they promised Hermione to pick up cat food for Crookshanks.

Simon didn't answer, twirling his new wand between the fingers on his left hand (Cedar Wood, Unicorn Tail Hair, 10½ inches, bendy). He learned more about his father in five minutes then he knew for the eight years that he knew him. He had no idea what his father did to get expelled, he always seemed like the nicest person you could possibly meet.

"Mr. Lupin?" Simon whispered, glancing up at the werewolf, a pleading look in his eyes. "You went to Hogwarts, right? Do you have any idea what could expel someone?"

Remus frowned, "If this is about your father, then I don't know anything about it. He wasn't in school during my time, I'm fairly certain. Do you know about how old your father was?"

Simon looked down, "He died at thirty-nine, three years ago."

Remus bit his lip, "He was born in 1953?"

Simon quickly looked up and nodded.

"I might be able to find out some information for you." He said quickly.

Simon's eyes widened, and he smiled. "Really? How?"

"You remember Tonks, right? The Metamorphmagus from the order?"

Maddy, who had quickly become intrigued by the conversation, nodded, and Simon followed suit.

"Her parents were born around the same time, meaning they would've attended with him."

You're going to ask Ted and Andromeda for information?

"If Simon wants me to," replied Remus.

"If I write a letter..." said Simon, stopping as they reached the front of the Magical Menagerie, "Do you reckon Tonks'll give it to them?"

Remus nodded, "I'm sure she would. Now let's get some cat food."

Maddy skipped in first, and went to the back of the store, examining all the animals as she went. Simon trailed her from behind, looking rather cautiously at each creature, unsure of it would attack him. Remus went to get what they had come for.

Maddy found herself in a dark corner, staring at a bat sleeping upside down in a cage. Intrigued by the nocturnal mammal, she stared at the sleeping form until Simon found his way to her side.

"What are you looking—" he noticed the bat for the first time. His eyes widened with fear and let out a screech, backing away slowly from the cage. When he was a metre away, he turned on his heels and ran across the store until he ran into Remus, still shaking slightly.

Maddy watched him with interest, before turning back to the bat, which was still asleep despite Simon's screech. A few other animals, however, had woken up, and were scrutinizing Maddy's every step as she made her way to her father and Simon at the register.

Remus was trying to calm Simon down, who was still shaking and muttering incoherent words underneath his breath.

Remus gave Maddy a look that she interpreted as 'What happened?'

I was looking at a bat, and he got scared. I don't think he likes bats.

Remus nodded, and led Simon and Maddy out of the store, having paid for the food before the whole fiasco.

■□~□■

"That bed will be yours, Simon," Fred told him, as he carried his small trunk of belongings and placed it at the foot of the bed indicated. Maddy sauntered in behind him, and jumped onto Fred's bed, and sat criss-cross with a smile on her face.