Chapter 41

{TW: Mentions of killing}

Maddy Lupin had never been one to read the Educational Decrees that Dolores Umbridge put out. If she didn't know the rules, then she obviously couldn't break them. That was her philosophy at least. Professor McGonagall noted to her one day the flaw in her thinking, and how it had differed from that of her father's own thinking; he had memorised all of Hogwarts rules by his second year, and could bend the rules backwards to not get in trouble.

She wasn't particularly bothered about her flaw, and continued on as she did, narrowly avoiding detentions.

So it was to no one's surprise when she was confused over Simon and Professor Umbridge's interaction in Defence.

Maddy sat with her legs propped on her desk, her WDS pin secured safely on her robes. None of the others wore theirs, not having the same immunity Maddy did.

Umbridge, of course, noticed, and walked in front of her desk, and pointed at the pin, She let out a soft hem hem, to get Maddy's attention, the young girl engrossed in a book, "What's that?"

Before Maddy could answer, Simon piped up bravely from beside her, "You can't ask her that."

The room turned towards him in shock, but he thrived in the attention, sitting up straight, and adjusting his robes.

"Your new Education Decree states that a teacher can't speak of anything not relating to the lesson," Simon stated, as if he had prepared a speech for this situation exactly. "Maddy's pin has nothing to do with the lesson, and therefore you can't ask her what it is."

Maddy frowned slightly at the new decree, but a second later her face lit up, nodding as if she had anticipated this exact moment. She had expected just to be belittled, but Umbridge breaking her own decree was ten times better than she could have hoped for.

"You —"

"Belittling me isn't on the syllabus either."

Maddy could tell Simon knew he was pushing his luck. But, Simon had always been good at deception. The hardened look of sheer determination etched into his face made it clear that he wasn't backing down.

"Detention, Mr. Lomen, stay after to discuss details."

Simon shrugged slightly as she turned and made her way to the front of the classroom.

Maddy tugged slightly at the sleeve of his robe, and signed, Talk later.

Simon nodded stone faced, and turned to the front of the classroom.

■□~□■

Maddy didn't care about being late to Flying, for once in her life. She had taken out her gloves and hat, but they rested on her lap as she sat cross-legged on the floor outside the door to the Defence classroom.

Simon came out quietly, zippering his bag as he walked out the door, before noticing Maddy. "Come along," he said. If he were surprised she had waited for him, he didn't show it.

Why did you do that? Maddy asked after they had begun their descent down the stairs, having to clap to get her attention.

"Consider it repay," he told her.

Maddy frowned, but didn't sign anything else, just continued walking outside the castle, tugging on her gloves and hat.

"There's another reason too, but I'll tell you after classes."

That caught Maddy's attention. She stopped in her tracks, and thought for a second, before she jogged to Simon's side again.

"Madam Hooch isn't gonna be happy we're late," Simon said, looking at his watch. Maddy marvelled at how quickly he could change the topic, not pondering on something for more time than necessary, while she already knew she'd be thinking about it all day. "Maybe more so at me, since I'm not very good."