Chapter 19

"Hi," Darienne spoke quietly, minding her volume. Sirius and Remus looked up, it was the first time either of them had heard her talk. It was mid-afternoon, and the two were talking in the kitchen of Grimmauld Place. "You wanted to see me?" Her voice was barely a whisper, but she sounded sweet and innocent, the same quality her older brother had in his voice.

She had become confident near the two men who were watching her, and decided if she were just to whisper, it would be of no harm to talk a little. She wanted to be strong, and she'd never do it if she didn't start small.

Remus gestured for her to come over, and gave her permission to sit on the table in front of the two of them.

I'm going to take you to a muggle doctor today. Alright? Remus signed.

Darienne bit her bottom lip and looked between the two men. "Why?" She whispered. "I'm not sick."

"We know you're not." Sirius told her, speaking aloud as he signed to double check. "We're going to help your hearing."

Darienne frowned, "Do you have magic for it?"

Remus shook his head, "No. There's been attempts, but the spells usually just make things worse. Same with Maddy's voice, or Harry's eyesight. They're trying to invent spells that could aid. Like one that could correct Harry's eyesight for a few hours, or turn Maddy's thoughts into words, or help you hear for a few hours. None are finished though. That's why we are going to a muggle doctor."

Darienne nodded, "When are we leaving? And wouldn't that cost "

"In a few minutes. Get ready."

Darienne nodded, and ran up the stairs.

She returned about ten minutes later with Maddy's copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bards underneath her arm.

"Ready?"

Darienne nodded.

"Padfoot, we'll be back soon."

"Alright." Sirius waved, which Darienne returned.

Remus led her to the corner, where they took muggle transportation to the doctor's office.

Darienne didn't mutter a single word at all, even inside the office, opting just to nod when the doctor asked her questions.

Near the end, the doctor held up a small device, and put it on Darienne's ears, one at a time.

I'm going to talk, and I want you to tell me if you hear what I'm saying.

Darienne looked up at Remus, who nodded encouragement, and she nodded back.

"Hello."

Darienne's jaw dropped, and she looked around the room. "I can hear you," she whispered, before her eyes widened even more, "I can hear me."

"Does it sound clear?"

"Define clear?"

"Do you know what I'm saying?"

Darienne nodded, "I understand." She spoke with more confidence this time, not worrying as much about her volume.

"You're free to go."

Darienne jumped off the examination table, and walked over to Remus.

"It works alright?"

"Thank you. Thank you so much." Was all Darienne could manage to say.

Remus pulled her into a hug, before kneeling down to reach her height, "You don't have to thank me, Darienne."

"Can we go and show Sirius?" Darienne asked, a smile almost splitting her face, "And I've got to send a letter to Simon."