Birthday Kiss

August 4th 1922
Unlike last year Aurora hadn't forgotten her birthday was today in fact rather than waiting to see what others may have planned she'd took it upon herself to make the plans. She wanted this birthday to be good, for it to be fun yet peaceful. She'd made a cake that morning, a chocolate one, you could never go wrong with chocolate everyone would love it and while Aurora focused on her guests sweet teeth her Mam was preparing the savoury food and her Dad was in charge of drink. She wouldn't be spending her birthday in a pub instead she was going to be spending it in Albert Park.
Albert Park was a beautiful park in Middlesbrough especially in the summer and Aurora often found herself walking around it for hours on end lately, soaking up the sun and trying to be one with the nature. Her home was no longer her favourite place to think or spend time in, strangely it seemed the outdoors was becoming her greatest comfort so both her and her family would be spending the night in the park around a fire drinking and eating while they talked merrily and danced. Aurora had invited the Shelby's too, they were family after all and she wanted them there, every single one of them besides Grace and to Aurora's delight they'd accepted her invitation to celebrate her birth.
Truthfully there were some small motives behind Aurora's reasoning for inviting the Shelby's to her birthday. For one she wanted to prove to her own family in particular her Dad that the alliance between both the Hayes and Shelby's was as strong as ever and that there had been no love lost between any of them. Her second reason was to get Arthur somewhere new, somewhere that wasn't Birmingham. If the park helped her think then maybe Arthur could find some comfort within it too plus it would give him the opportunity to continue his journey of finding God as Aurora had a gift for her brother.

She'd asked Arthur to come up earlier than the rest of the family in order for his gift to be given without the worry of prying eyes watching their every move. Aurora had already been informed of Tommy's suspicions. Arthur's journey had only just began and already Tommy's eyes were watching them like a hawk. Aurora knew of Tommy's questioning, how he wondered why Aurora so frequently came to Small Heath to see Arthur. He'd soon gone into a fit of rage only two days before Aurora's birthday when Arthur sputtered out a series of lies and excuses, his tongue twisted over the truth upon being confronted yet despite the continuous questioning and torment Arthur kept his lips firmly sealed. Aurora had no doubt she would be next to be questioned and just like Arthur she would no reveal anything. With Tommy now watching they would both have to be more vigilant when sneaking into church. Never in her life did Aurora believe she would ever be sneaking into church but this was all for Arthur and that made it worth it for her.

Arthur was already at the park by the time Aurora arrived. He was sat on the grass looking carefree as he laughed along with her Dad and brother. David was away on business and Jane was travelling with the children down south but at least Chris and his wife had made it. She'd also invited Peter but he had declined knowing Tommy would do nothing but glare at him throughout the night, instead he would take her out for lunch tomorrow with his daughter. It seemed there would be more Shelby's at her birthday celebrations than Hayes. Aurora wanted immediate family only and the 'no children' rule had gone down a street especially with Ada who looking for a night to herself where she could relax and drink without having to keep a clear mind. In all honesty it wasn't much of a birthday party but more of a night where they could all escape from the world for a moment and feel free from everything.
"Arthur!" Aurora called out grabbing his attention as she waved frantically at the entrance of the park before leaning back and resting her back against her car door "Will you help me get these cakes out the car?"
"Yeah of course sister"
Jumping up with a grunt, Arthur jogged over to Aurora with a smile on his face and throwing his arms around her he kissed the top of her head.
"Happy Birthday kid" Arthur cheered rocking them from side to side as Aurora leaned into his embrace with a small laugh.
"Thank you Arthur!" Pulling away she looked up at him with a mischievous yet innocent smile "The reason I called you over 'ere is because I 'ave a gift for you"
"It's your birthday Rora, shouldn't you be receiving gifts rather than giving them?" Arthur frowned, both confused and intrigued. He wondered what the gift could possibly be, Aurora had always been over generous when it came to the family and Arthur was certain there was nothing more she could give him, after all she'd already given him everything by offering her help to fight the war he was still facing.
"I like giving rather than receiving" Aurora shrugged turning around and opening the car door. Reaching in she pulled out a small brown book and held it to her chest for a moment before offering it to Arthur who took it with caution as he saw the love Aurora held for the item.
"Me nana was a very religious woman and for a long time she did all she could to convince me to find my faith and turn to God. I never did despite her best efforts but she was always patient with me and understanding, she was kind and never forced me into believing in something that I didn't. When I was fourteen she passed away in her sleep, she knew she was dying and before she did she handed me that book, she handed me her bible. It was her most prized possession and she gave it to me in the hopes one day I would use it. I now want to gift it to you Arthur because I care about your journey and I know it will help you more than it will me. I also know that you will love it just as much as I loved my nana" Aurora explained, her eyes shining with unshed tears.
Coping Aurora's earlier actions Arthur brought the bible up to his chest and nodded frantically, a tear rolling down his cheek as he did so.
"I promise I'll look after it, I promise! Thank you sister" Arthur sobbed wrapping one arm around her and pulling her into a quick hug. He would make sure none of his brothers ever touched Aurora's gift, it was worth more to him than a safe filled never ending gold. Running his fingers over the cover, Arthur smiled before tucking it with the pocket of his suit jacket, it fit perfectly and would remain hidden until he was alone to read it.