When Snow Falls

November 20th 1924
"Arthur said you haven't been to see him recently"
Rolling her eyes, Linda let out a huff of air and continued to pour a cup of tea. Slamming down the teapot harshly she looked over at the woman resting on the couch holding her small baby within her arms.
"Is that why you're here? To find out why I haven't been?" Linda scowled sarcastically and standing up from her place on the couch Aurora smiled lightly and walked over of her, bouncing a sleeping Billy as he fussed at her movement.
"Yes and no, I did come to check on you. Unless Esme or I come here we don't hear from you Linda, it worries us that you're out here living in this big house by yourself without any support while you wait for news"
"I'm not by myself I have Billy" Linda responded taking a seat at the table and picking up her tea cup. She didn't need anyone, Linda could support herself without any help.
"Billy's barely three months old Linda, M'not certain he understands your hurt right now. Of course he can listen but you haven't spoken about Arthur to any of us since the arrest and I know you're coping well, Billy is thriving but you're not. Linda you're not sleeping, you're not eating and Esme tells me you've been sick recently" Aurora's voice was soft, her face filled in concern and whilst she knew she should appreciate that concern Linda couldn't help but feel aggravated.
"Look! I'm fine! Billy's fine! I don't need you and Esme sticking your noses in. If you want to visit that's fine but don't be coming here if you're going to bother me" Linda snapped before placing her cup on the table and burying her hands in her face. Aurora sat in silence, watching Linda as she took a moment to herself. She would have to let Esme know they needed to watch Linda from afar and support her in silence in order not to cause her more irritation. The last thing Aurora wanted to do was frustrate a new mother.

"There's a reason I'm avoiding Arthur" Linda started after a few minutes of silence. Looking up from a sleeping Billy, Aurora waited patiently for Linda to continue "Thomas has destroyed this family, destroyed our dreams and I hate that Arthur has forgiven him so easily, I hate that he allows him to visit, the man who has stopped him from meeting his own son. I hate that every time I go all Arthur talks about is how Tommy's going to be the big hero and save them. Why isn't he angry?! Why have I became the unreasonable one for being angry at Thomas? I can not continue to hope he will get Arthur out because I don't believe he will and even if he does I can't accept Thomas back into our lives yet Arthur continues to try and push me towards forgiveness but I will never forgive that man"

"You have every right to be angry at Tommy and it's your decision whether you want to forgive him or not, that decision doesn't rest with Arthur. To Arthur, Tommy isn't just the man behind the reason he's inside, he's his little brother. They've been by each other's side since Tommy was born, raising each other because their Father was too drunk and violent to do so and their Mother, a victim to that violence. They're each other's support and strength and it's not just loyalty that keeps Arthur by Tommy's side, it's love. Arthur loves Tommy, there's nothin' on earth that could ever make him stop and to not be with his little brother would hurt Arthur. Look at me and Jane, Jane has done some horrible things to me over the years and whilst our relationship is good now, I still never hated her because I love her too much just like you love Arthur despite wanting to throttle him most days. Sometimes betrayal and forgiveness isn't so simple, some can't move on from those who hurt them" Aurora explained knowing from experience that it was never easy to hate Thomas Shelby. The man had a way of capturing hearts and destroying them at the same time. She may of been with Tommy again, living in his home and sleeping in his bed but Aurora wasn't blind to the anger that came from others. Linda had every right to hate Tommy along with the rest of the family just like Arthur had every right to forgive Tommy like she'd done.
Once again Aurora stayed quiet about her relationship with Tommy. It seemed the more she tried to confess to the family the more she found herself hiding until she would eventually be caught out. She didn't want the family to find out from others, the news had to be from her and it had to be soon.