Free

Aurora was tired today. Her eyelids constantly fought to keep open but each time she found herself in a spot of silence they would drop and try to lull her into sleeping. After leaving the club last night she'd taken Teddy to see a doctor to have his face checked over just in case there was more to his injuries than a broken nose. After getting confirmation that it was a small break she'd taken him home and put him to bed before walking back to her own home to clean herself up and get dressed for work. Then without sleep and still quite drunk, Aurora had spent all day in the classroom working like a dog until school was over and she made her way to the office to work further.

"There is a flower within my heart, Daisy, Daisy!
Planted one day by a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell!
Whether she loves me or loves me not,
Sometimes it's hard to tell;
Yet I am longing to share the lot
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!"

She sang quietly to herself as her pencil ran lazily over the paper below, her handwriting becoming messier with each line she wrote. A small yawn broke out through her singing and admitting defeat, Aurora put her pencil down and crossing her arms on her desk she rested her head on them and allowed her eyes to close for a moment. She listened to the rain lightly falling outside followed by the sound of distant thunder. Thunder always reminded her of the night she took Bucephalus out for what would be his last ride, a regretful mistake on her part. Aurora missed her wild war horse, she missed all her horses, there was nothing to do to ease her mind here except go to the bar or paint. Teddy helped but sometimes she just wished to be alone and wandering around large luscious fields with her animals.
From behind her closed office door Aurora could also hear the women singing along to their music. It made her smile that they had this time together while her Dad was gone. When he was around music was banned and both the women and men had to work in silence but every time he went away on business Aurora let the workers did as they willed and noticed in lifting the rules they worked harder and got more done.

"Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer, do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage,
But you'll look sweet on the seat
Of a bicycle built for two!"

Aurora continued to sing, trying to keep herself awake while her eyes were closed. She didn't want to fall asleep, she just wanted the pain of being so tired to leave so she could continue on into the night. Reaching out, Aurora ran her hands over her desk until she felt the cold metal of her pocket watch and picking it up she brought it to her face with a yawn and reluctantly opened her eyes to check the time. She would give herself ten minutes, just ten minutes and then she would be fine.

A sudden loud knock coming from her office door sent Aurora jumping up from her place on the desk with a yelp, her heart racing as her eyes grew wide from being so startled.
Shit! She'd fallen asleep.
Picking up her pocket watch again while she tried to control her heavy breathing Aurora saw she'd slept for over two hours. Her office had been submerged into darkness and getting up from her chair, Aurora carefully made her way over to the light switch by the door. Once she'd found it, she quickly turned the light on and opened the door to peer out. Seeing the receptionist Ashley smiling brightly at her, Aurora removed her scornful look and smiled back kindly.
"Sorry to bother you Miss Hayes but a Mr Thomas Shelby is here to see you"
Pulling her eyes away from Ashley, Aurora glanced up and saw Tommy stood behind her with a brown file held tightly within his grasp and a look of seriousness on his face. It wasn't his serious business face that stared back at Aurora but his dangerous one. Something had happened without Tommy's knowledge and now he was determined to find answers, Aurora knew all too well how to read him but why he was here of all places confused her.
Did she have the answers?
Realising she'd been staring too long, Aurora cleared her throat and opened the door wider.
"Thank you Ashley, you can go back to work now. Please come in Thomas" Aurora gestured before turning her back on them and walking over to her desk to sit down. It was always best to sit down when Tommy was around, you never knew when he would knock your very feet from under you.
The door closing from behind her caused Aurora to flinch, it was loud, it was demanding and she felt small, like a little mouse about to be trapped.
"I was expecting anyone this evening, was there a meeting that I wasn't aware of? Perhaps it slipped my mind, things 'ave been busy lately haven't they?" She laughed lightly slowly sitting on her chair watching him approach like an oncoming storm and lifting his hand he stood over her desk and threw the file down in front of her.