Field Of Snow

August 12th 1922
The White Tulip was phoning. Aurora wasn't the boss and didn't deal with issues regarding the club only stock each Monday nevertheless she allowed the operator to put her through despite it being one in the morning and being tempted to go back up to bed and ignore the call. Letting out a yawn, Aurora rested her elbow on the telephone table and waited.
"Good evening Miss Hayes" Peter greeted clearing his throat awkwardly seeming hesitant to speak to her.
'Evening? It was morning' Aurora thought begrudgingly having a sneaking suspicion that she wasn't going to be able to go back to bed anytime soon.
"Everything orright Rob?" Aurora questioned, her tone calm yet quite urgent. She internally prayed that it was nothing serious. She tried to comfort herself with the fact that if it were to be serious it would be her Dad or Tommy taking the call and not her.
"I'm not sure Miss Hayes, your fella is here and he's kicked every customer out the club and shut it for the night"
Frowning, Aurora attempted to process his words.
Her fella? She didn't have a fella, not anymore.......but Robert didn't know that which meant Tommy was here in Middlesbrough. She wondered why he had closed the club, Tommy never closed anything unless something bad was occurring and why was he here in Middlesbrough and not Birmingham?
"Is he ok Robert?"
"No, at least he doesn't seem it.....he looks upset like something is bothering him, he's also been through two bottles of our finest whiskey. I don't know how he's still conscious" Peter explained sounding concerned, building up the worry within Aurora's chest.
If Tommy was projecting his emotions like an open book around strangers then something seriously bad had happened. Tommy rarely showed his emotions to his family, his always hid behind that perfected stone mask of his.
"I'll be right there don't let him go anywhere, goodbye Rob" Aurora ordered putting down the phone with a sigh. She truly believed she was done dealing with Tommy's personal business but every time the end was in sight something happened. Aurora hadn't seen him since the birthday kiss and up to now had been successful in her attempts to avoid him, now she would have to face him again and remind herself over and over that it was in her best interest not to fall into his arms again.
Still in her nightdress Aurora quickly slipped her feet into her boots, leaving the laces undone as she grabbed the nearest coat and pulled her arms through. Running out into the night Aurora got into her car and made the short journey to the club, readying herself to deal with a drunken Tommy as she drove.

It was strange to walk through the club doors and not hearing music booming through the walls. Normally Aurora would have to push her way through a sea of people to reach the main room but tonight there was no one in sight, Tommy really had cleared the place out. She was quite glad there was no one here, she was only in her nightdress and coat after all. Walking through the open doors that lead her into the main room Aurora caught sight of Tommy sat leaning over the bar, head resting in one hand while the other rocked a glass of whiskey side to side. Robert was stood at the side of the bar looking both worried and tired, wanting to be anywhere but here dealing with a Shelby.

"A bit far from home to 'ave a drink aren't you?" Aurora called out, announcing her presence as she walked over to the bar.
"Who let the mouse in?" Tommy muttered before downing the contents of his glass and slamming it on the bar with a gesture for Robert to fill it once again.
"No, he's done for the night Robert" Aurora said sternly taking a seat next to Tommy and looking over at him with a raised eyebrow "What's goin' on Thomas?"
"What's going on is that I'm havin' a drink.....Rob!"
Shaking her head with a sigh Aurora pried the glass from Tommy's hand and held it out for Robert to take.
"No, no more drink Tom, you're fucking legless"
"Worst things to be" Tommy shrugged throwing Aurora a glare, irritated at her cutting him off. She was always cutting him off.
"Christ" Aurora cursed half tempted to order her own drink and enter a state in intoxication like Tommy. "Why are you 'ere in Middlesbrough Tommy?" She asked softly leaning her face in closer to his and looking over him in concern. She could see the troubled stare within his eyes and the restlessness in his face. The clenching and unclenching of his jaw told Aurora that something was truly bothering him.
"Had to get away" Tommy grumbled bitterly running a hand over his face. Normally when he wanted to get away he would go straight to Aurora's home and hold her in bed but now that wasn't possible and The White Tulip was the only other option he saw that reminded him of Aurora.
"Away from what? Is there something wrong with business"
"No business is fine.......it's her" He spat, the words rolling off his tongue as if it were poison surprising Aurora whose eyes widened at his tone.
Tommy took a deep breath before exhaling loudly and tapping his fingers against the wood of the bar.
"Grace received a telegram from a friend in Poughkeepsie two days ago, her husband has killed himself" Tommy confessed the weight on his chest heavy and unbearable.
"Grace's husband?" Aurora managed to get out, her hand going over her mouth as Tommy nodded in reply.
Aurora thought deeply about the stranger who had shared in her heartache across the sea. A tingling pain erupted throughout her nose as her eyes started to burn with tears as she thought about how lonely and sad he must of been in those last moments to take his own life. Unlike Aurora Grace's husband hadn't seen the light at the end of the dark tunnel they were in and in the end had found himself lost with no way of escaping. He was still all but a stranger and yet Aurora wanted to weep for him until there was nothing left inside her.