Past Meeting

"You're what?"
Aurora internally winced watching her Dad's face grow dark, his eyes giving her a look of unwanted surprise. It was then she knew there would be no right time to break the news to him and rather than be excited, Aurora was now feeling nervous and uncomfortable.
She had gathered the family for a meeting after spending a week in Birmingham, comforting the Shelby's and building up her confidence to tell her family she was leaving the business. Aurora had chosen this day in particular because it was Freddie's funeral tomorrow and if everything here went down the drain she could escape back to Small Heath.

It seemed everything was in fact going down the drain as she looked into the eyes of her betrayed father.
There was no where to run. Aurora was stood centre stage in the lounge while her family stared on at her in shock. Jane looked bored, Christopher was confused, David appeared as happy as ever and her Mam, well she was preparing herself to break up a fight.
Upon his throne, her Dad was passing judgment and before Aurora had the chance to plea her case, she could see that she had been found guilty of all charges.

"M'leaving the business.....not right this moment....but....soon" Aurora announced once more, her voice weaker this time while she twiddled her fingers behind her back.
"I heard you the first time chavi" William bit out, his voice dark and filled with anger.
How could she do this?!
He needed her!
"Sorry Dad" Aurora whispered, unsure on what to say or how to make things better before they spiralled out of control. It shouldn't of been this hard yet it was her family she was dealing with after all. The Hayes weren't known for their understanding of matters but their bark for not having what they want. Her Dad may bark loud nevertheless Aurora for once would bark the loudest. She would become a teacher and she would follow the path she felt destined to be on.

"Can I ask why Aurora?" Her Mam spoke up refusing to look at her husband and giving Aurora a secret reassuring smile.
"I want to be a teacher, it's all I've wanted to do, to help a child's small mind grow into something big and make 'em feel like they can do anything"
The idea filled Aurora with warmth every time she spoke of it. She had spent a whole day filling Tommy's head with her ideas and he had listened to every word while also encouraging her to go ahead.
If Tommy was happy with her leaving, why couldn't her Dad be?

The cold laugh that echoed throughout the room sent Aurora into a wave of sadness and fear.
"A teacher?! You want to leave everything I have spent years building for you, to be a teacher. You're fortunate to be able to live the life you do and you're giving it up to be a lowly paid teacher. I have to say I'm disappointed Aurora, I thought you had the brain amongst my children" William sneered and just like that Aurora softly began to cry but rather than run, she stood there with her back straight and her mouth set in a line. His words hurt yet Aurora would not leave until he knew she would not be swayed by mean words.

"I think it's a great idea" David chirped sitting up in his chair and smiling. He wanted Aurora out, he didn't want her to be like them. "She doesn't belong 'ere Dad, she's good and we......well m'surprised we 'aven't been hung yet"
"David!" Anne cried out in horror throwing her son a disgusted look.
Ignoring the family around her Aurora watched a smirk slowly come on to her Dad's face. It was a smile that told her he knew something but what it was she didn't know nor did she want to know.
"Tell me chavi, where will you be teaching?"
"There's a new school being built in Birmingham" Aurora announced feeling anger beginning to take over as her Dad scoffed at her.
"You've always been independent Aurora, why do you now wish to follow a man?" William questioned wanting to understand her reasonings for leaving him. When had Tommy become the greatest man in her life above him?

"All my life I have followed men, I have followed you. I have done everything you asked of me, order after order with a smile on me fucking face. Where you have went, I have followed behind, grateful to be by your side, wanting nothing more than to make you proud. I would go to the end of the earth for you if you wished me to and I would do it happily. Yes the school is in Birmingham but m'not following Tommy, I would teach anywhere. I am following my dream and I will not stand here and be made to feel foolish for doing so! M'going back to Small Heath now, it's Freddie's funeral tomorrow"