Prying Stranger

Cupping her hand under the cold water tap, Aurora leaned over the sink and splashed her face multiple times, over and over until her face was numb. She was completely drained of all energy and motivation. The urge to go back to bed clawed at her insides but Aurora refused to sleep, she knew that as soon as she closed her eyes he'd be back, waiting for her on the tracks.

Lifting her head, Aurora caught sight of her reflection.
God she really looked awful!
Her skin was pasty with blotches of red, eyes puffy, bloodshot and dark. Her whole complexion seemed hollow and sickly. If you hadn't witnessed the rise and fall of her chest you'd think she was dead but the pain within her heart very much made her alive. Taking her now dripping wet hair Aurora created a somewhat messy bun on the back of her head and reaching for a pin she secured the hair in place, she had no patience to deal with her curls today.
Brushing down her black dress, Aurora took a few deep breaths before exiting the bathroom and making her way downstairs, coat in hand, ready for a sharp exit.

John's laughter rang out from the kitchen causing Aurora to smile slightly, of course they're staying for breakfast. Her Mam and Dad were playing the perfect hosts making Aurora wonder just how important this business day. She dreaded walking into the kitchen, she didn't want to feel his stares or get into an exchange.
The last thing Aurora wanted to do today was offend Tommy Shelby and mess everything up. She was going to ignore last nights events and start fresh which in Aurora's eyes meant avoiding him all together.

Hearing her daughters boots click down the hall, Anne poked her head out the kitchen and smiled. It's all she could do, Aurora wouldn't open up to anyone so acting like everything was ok had become a normal thing within the family. It broke Anne's heart, her family suffered so much yet they all kept their feelings bottled up in tiny glass bottles and one day those bottles we're going to smash. Anne hadn't just lost her son in the War, she had lost everyone and if it wasn't for the love of her children she would be lost with them.

"Morning Mam"
Anne could hear how tired Aurora was and praised her daughter on still being able to place a smile on her face.
"Morning Rora, did you want any breakfast?"
"No ta Mam I have something urgent business to do" Aurora shook her head and wrapping her arm around her Mam she kissed her head.
It brought Aurora some amusement every time she did it, her Mam was incredibly tiny. Taking Aurora's hand, Anne pulled her into the kitchen and not wanting to protest Aurora let her.
"I'll make you something to take with you Aurora" Anne chirped walking over to the stove where a new batch of bacon was sizzling causing Aurora's hunger senses to go insane.

This is why she hadn't wanted to come in, she had drawn everyone's attention to her especially his. Tommy's eyes burned into her cheek making her wish she had kept her hair down, at least then she'd be able to hide.
"It's fine Mam really, I need to get going"
Tommy was surprised by just how weak her voice was, even in her submissiveness she had never sounded so quiet. He recognised that tone, it was the tone he had used when he had first came back from France, the tone of absolute exhaustion, the tone of someone close to the edge of breaking.

"Where you going Aurora? The office needs you" William spoke up avoiding looking anywhere but the paper within his hands.
Letting out a sigh, Aurora turned and faced her Dad. She noticed the other two Shelby's were distracted by breakfast yet Tommy sat leaned back, cigarette in his mouth and breakfast left untouched. He was still staring at her, reading like a book. Aurora prayed he didn't bring up last night in front of her parents, her heart would probably give way.

"Dad I won't take long and I'll be at the office" Aurora assured him while also projecting enough authority in her voice to show she couldn't be forced.
"Attending a funeral are we?"
His voice made her heart pound in her ears and she had to stop herself from gasping at the suddenness. Aurora imagined she looked like a fish out of water, she hadn't expected him to address especially not after their earlier confrontation.
'The one where you flaunted your breasts at his willing eyes' Aurora thought bitterly resisting the urge to look down and make sure her dress was fitted appropriately.