Business

"Christ!" Aurora cursed breathlessly finally reaching the bottom of her stairs, a neatly wrapped painting in one hand and her work briefcase in the other.
The phone had been ringing continuously for the last ten minutes while Aurora readied herself for the day. She thought that if she ignored it, the person would eventually give up and Aurora could call back at a more convenient time. Whoever it was did not give up and by the time Aurora had breathlessly made it down the stairs she was seething.
She was tempted to leave the phone ringing and walk out the door but in her good nature, Aurora let out a sigh, gently placed the painting against the wall and picked up the phone to the exchange.

The call was coming from the office causing Aurora to rest her elbow on the telephone table and sink her face into it with an exhausted yawn.
Her Dad already made sure, Aurora would have no time to do anything but work. He had filled her schedule up to the brim and after just a day she found herself already feeling the effects.
What could he possibly want her to do now?

"Good morning Aurora" She heard him greet over the phone.
He had his business voice on, it wasn't a father greeting a daughter, it was a boss greeting an underpaid worker.
"Morning Dad, what can I do for you?" Aurora replied sweetly, keeping her voice kind and loving in the hopes he would relent and go easy in her.
"What are you doing?"
'Here it comes' she thought to herself waiting for demands to work throughout the night or if he was really feeling mean, he would change her whole schedule with the flick of a coin sending her brain into a spin.

"I'm 'bout to head to Birmingham" Aurora informed her Dad.
'To surprise Tommy' she wanted to add but quickly swallowed it back down knowing her Dad wanted her in Birmingham today for business only.
She had missed Tommy, greatly. It had been a month since Aurora last seen him or heard his voice and that did not sit well with her heart. Aurora wished she had never agreed to go travelling with the family again.

You see her Dad had hit a rough patch once again, it always seemed to start when the nights grew cold and wanting to be of help Aurora had spent the month travelling up north. It had been much more fun this time and Fortune had loved the freedom of running through masses of fields again along with Aurora yet both of them had missed their Shelby man and the longer the month went on, the more they wanted to come home.

"Do you have the forms?" Her Dad questioned breaking Aurora free from her thoughts of a certain blued eyed soul.
"Yes Dad"
"And the invitation list?"
"Yes Dad, everything Tommy needs to see or sign is with me. Are you calling to make sure or do you need something else?" Aurora grumbled wanting to put the phone down and run to the car.
"I have a meeting in fifteen minutes, I also promised I'd go to The White Tulip and make sure everything is up to standard. The opening is this coming weekend which is why I'm sending you in my place to tell the workers to get a fucking move on. I will not delay any further, get it done Chavi, we have four days!"
The demand was harsh and left Aurora no room to argue as the phone line cut and she was left with a ringing in her ear.

Visiting The White Tulip wouldn't be so bad, Aurora had been meaning to visit and could happily stop by before making her way down to Birmingham. She would not be cursing at the workers and demanding they hurry, Aurora didn't have it in her to be mean. She herself had seen how hard and fast they were working and how little time there was for breaks. Truthfully Aurora had no reason to complain about exhaustion when those men were breaking their backs each day for both her Dad and Tommy.

Picking up the painting once again, Aurora headed for the door. A shiver went through her spine as the harsh air rippled through her skin and she cursed at herself for not buttoning her coat before coming outside. It was now late October and the air was becoming frosty and bitter. The summer came to an end far too quickly for Aurora. It had been the best one in living memory. Everyday since her birthday had been spent at Tommy's side until the travelling life pulled them apart and now she was back, Aurora wanted things to be as they were once again.