Domestic Bliss

"I must admit, m'afraid Tommy" Aurora admitted looking down at her feet, kicking up some stones and watching how far away they landed, each stone in competition with one another.
Her arm was wrapped through Tommy's as they headed up the long path that led to the stables, both enjoying the fresh after rain air, the evening sky going from red to dark blue behind them. It was getting late and while Aurora preferred the stables at night, it was still far too early for her liking.
"What are you 'fraid of?" Tommy replied looking down at her trying not to show Aurora the confusion he felt.
On the way here they had both agreed to never speak of Daiena or her visions of Aurora's. They thought it best to hold on to Tommy's belief that it wasn't going to happen, that it was a vision of false pretence and while secretly masking their doubts, they refused to speak of them. Aurora knew it wasn't a trick to scare or get money from them but she didn't see the point of telling Tommy this because he already knew, it would just create more arguments. Until the time came and Aurora's life did seem in danger, they wouldn't say nothing, not unless it was a plan Tommy had orchestrated to save her.

The conversation was the very reason Tommy was confused by Aurora's confession. He hoped it had been the end and that she wasn't going to bring it up now or try to speak of it again.
"Ever since I got Bucephalus I've always took him out at night, it's too early" Aurora croaked out, her concern growing the closer they got to the stable.
She didn't want to tell Tommy no, she knew he could handle Bucephalus a lot better than she could nevertheless the horses were like her children and as any parent rightly would be worried about a broken child, Aurora was concerned about a broken Bucephalus.
"Why at night?" Tommy pressed, knowing the answer yet he wanted the mouse to confirm it so he could offer advice without sounding too harsh, her heart was in the right place after all.
Now that he thought about it, Tommy noticed that during the times he had visited the stables, Bucephalus had never once been outside with Fortune to greet Aurora.

"There's too much noise during the day Tommy, Bucephalus prefers the silence of night. I know I said he's getting better but that's only 'cause I avoid havin' noise around him and the day seems to spook him much more then night" Aurora sighed sadly knowing in truth she was letting her horse down. She knew no other way to protect him and that upset her deeply.

"He has to get used to it mouse, all us men had to. You need to show him it's just noise, that's all it is....noise and in time he will see it" Tommy advised, pleased to see that she was taking in and thinking about his words.
It was important to his mouse, she loved her horses which is why he would help in any way he could. Tommy also felt a deep connection with Bucephalus and wanted to see him recover even though deep down he knew there was only the smallest chance of hope for this war horse. Over the years Tommy had seen many horses like Bucephalus and none of them had survived.

"I'll try Tommy, I just don't want to spook him and have his heart give up" Aurora shrugged feeling her own heart skip painfully, picturing Bucephalus place in the stable empty and him deep within the soil of the earth.
Tommy didn't want to tell her that it was a possibility. Either the horse gave up first or its heart did, both ways were tormenting and extremely difficult to watch.
"Curly would be happy to work with Bucephalus" was what Tommy said instead, offering her a way out and if the horse was in Small Heath, then there was a reason for Aurora to be there too.
"I want to try helping Bucephalus meself first but if it doesn't work out, I'd love Curly to look after him. In fact draw up some prices and we'll discuss it at a later date" Aurora smiled looking towards the stable.
She knew it was the best choice and if it had been anyone else she would have refused yet Curly was Curly and she trusted him to not just help her horse but love him too.
"Curly would take him for free, he's been asking after Bucephalus ever since he met him"
"I know he would Tommy, he's a good man which is why even if he doesn't use the money he still deserves to be paid" Aurora shrugged hoping the sternness in her tone would show him that there wasn't any room for arguments.
Tommy knew how Aurora liked Curly, still her words sent a flow of admiration through him and while Curly wouldn't accept any money the mouse would conduct business in the right way and see Curly as more than a simple man to be used by others. He had never realised it before now but it was important to Tommy that Aurora treat his family and respect them just as much as she did him. It was always easier to read and judge a person from the way they interacted with your loved ones.