Anniversary

"You should be sleeping, it's late," Aaron said over the phone.

"And you should be working but here we are." You smiled and pulled the cover-up to your face.

The calls had been more frequent, which you were secretly grateful for.

These runs with Derek weren't getting any better. You were sore every day but not in the way you want to be. The only good that came from it was you were more awake when you walked into the office.

"Everyone needs breaks sometimes." He defended.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day Aaron Hotchner says he needs a break."

"I'm not that bad."

"You'd be surprised, you're very stubborn." You smiled.

You held the phone close to your face. Thinking if you held it close enough you'd be able to kiss him.

He looked exhausted but he hid it well. But you notice everything. Before you had a chance to ask if he had been sleeping he spoke.

"Do you know what today is?" He asked.

"Um," You thought. "Friday." you shrugged.

"No."

"The 2nd." You tried again.

"No." He smiled. You knew what he was hinting at. "Let me rephrase, do you know what my today is, your tomorrow."

"Saturday." You smiled. He raised his eyebrows at you. "My tomorrow is going to mark a year since our first date." You finally said.

"Yes, considering I'm 9 hours into the day I can say with much confidence that I liked it a year ago." He smiled.

"Yeah me too."

"I'm sorry I'm not there." His face visually fell.

"It's not your fault. Besides, I'll make do without you."

"Really? What are you gonna do?" He asked.

"Um, I don't know yet."

You hadn't thought that far in advance. You were most likely going to sleep in and do nothing, enjoy the day off.

"Sounds eventful."

There was nothing else to say, but you didn't want to hang up. You watched as he wrote something down. His eyes squinted together as he focused on the paper in front of him.

You felt your eyes get heavy but you kept forcing them open. He started silently reading the words and that was enough to make you fall asleep.

You let your eyes close but you could still hear what was being said. Your phone suddenly got very heavy in your hand. You let it fall onto the blanket but he was still able to see your face.

There wasn't much to see anyway, your eyes were shut but the light on your nightstand was still on.

"I knew you were tired." He mumbled. He was so quiet you almost missed it. You let out a small laugh. "I'll take this as my queue to go."

"Wait." You opened your eyes to see him one last time. "I love you," you whispered.

"I love you too. Good night."

"Good morning." you joked. There was almost a 12-hour difference between the two of you. So a good morning was fitting.

"Go to sleep." he laughed. Before you had a chance to say something else he hung up.