Coming home

It felt like a start to a normal day. It was mid-November so it was getting colder.

Thanksgiving was in a couple of weeks and Rossi was saying something about having a big dinner party.

There was some hope that Aaron would be back by then. You had been getting updated that the work he was doing was almost complete.

It's been so long since you've been with him you had started to forget what it felt like. But hopefully, you'd remember soon.

As you pulled into your regular parking spot. Your phone started ringing. It was Aaron. It wasn't a skype call, it was just a regular phone call.

"Hello?" You answered.

"Hi."

"Why do you sound wide awake?" You asked and grabbed all your papers.

"Because I am." He answered simply.

"Well, it's pushing midnight over there so I suggest shutting your eyes." You locked your car and walked into the building.

The sudden gust of warm air hit your face as you walked to the elevator.

"Why are you at work so early?" He asked.

"Since Rossi is allergic to paperwork, I am the one that gets to go to the budget meeting." You placed the phone between your cheek and your shoulder so you could get a better grip on the papers in your hand.

He was quiet. You could only hear his steady breathing, at least you knew he was there. The doors of the elevator opened.

"Why are you calling me so late?" You asked.

"I just wanted to apologize for not calling you last night." He finally spoke.

There had been many nights when he didn't call. You never blamed him. You also knew that every spare second he had, he called Jack. It was hard for him to be away from his son. He hated leaving whenever you guys had cases.

"It's ok. At least I can hear your voice." You smiled.

"I'm so sorry." He apologized again.

"It's ok," you repeated. "Besides I fell asleep early." You added trying to lighten the mood. It sucked because you couldn't see his face. You couldn't tell him his mind was running or if he was just waiting for you to say something else.

"Do you have any advice for me before I go into this meeting?" You changed the subject and stepped off the elevator.

"Yeah try not to zone out." He laughed.

"That's gonna be difficult because I haven't had any coffee" Penelope came rushing down the hallway from her office. "Hey Pen what are you doing here so early-"

"Why don't you or Derek pick up your phone?" She asked.

"I'm talking to Aaron-"

"When I need you to answer your phone you don't. And you know when it's this early everything is still kinda blurry even if I'm wearing my glasses." She rambled.

"Penelope what's going on?"

"I think it's him." She finally said. Your face fell. "But like I said my eyes are still kinda wonky and the camera is far away so it's pixelated. But you said he would come and it's been a while and thinks he's here."

"Ok ok, breathe let me look." You started walking with her back to her office.

"What is she talking about?" Aaron asked. You had forgotten he was on the other line.